Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleeping with the enemy...
I think people are a little to quick to accuse the small business's of gouging. When in fact they are less likely to stock their shelves with garbage. Most small stores don't have acctuaries (number crunchers) that can figure out that if we sell this many and this many come back etc.. etc.. we still make money. Mom and pop just aren't set up for that.

I had my "come to Jesus" with Home Depot over some roofing materials. I won't bore you with the details but it's safe to say that DaKines post pretty much summed it up. JUNK, that's what both Lowes and Home Depot sell, for the most part. Even if you stay with name brands don't forget the Levi story.

I also like his/her thoughts on island economics although I'm sure there will be some input regarding the creation of jobs etc..

Blessings,
dave

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield"
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

quote:
the article focused on levi jeans, showing that in order to make the walmart model work levi (instead of providing walmart with their standard jean) went to china, set up a new factory, and made their own cheap knock-offs in order to provide walmart with a jean that has the levi branding but is cheap enough to meet the strict walmart pricing model.

But, this has always been their model, consumers choose to ignore it. They believe that what they buy from Wal-Mart is the exact same thing they have to spend more for at another store. Look at the Fendi fiasco. What consumer in their right mind (if they let just one brain cell fire) would think that they were getting an original Fendi bag for what they were buying it at a Wal-Mart? Just the material alone at deep discount wholesale prices would cost as much as the finished product Wal-Mart was selling.

American consumers are for the most part cheap, they buy on price and these stores are just catering to that lowest denominator. But Wal-Mart acts like they were the victim of some scam and should not be held accountable.

This ties in to an earlier topic we had about what you can do yourself to be independent from material needs, when i move there i would prefer to make or build the things that i can do, eliminate the desires for things that are not necessary and plant/eat what i can from my own land, and of course share whatever bounty i can give to others in need.

I know there will always be a need to import a variety of things for our daily lives, but if we can start thinking seriously about buying everything locally or making everything locally than I would prefer to put my money into those types of businesses and grow our own local economies.

quote:

But, this has always been their model, consumers choose to ignore it.

In part I agree with you Bob. I think that when Big Box stores were first introduced, the pitch was that they, the big box store, were able to buy in such large quantities that they could offer people better lower prices on comparable products. We know that is not the case now.

quote:

American consumers are for the most part cheap, they buy on price and these stores are just catering to that lowest denominator.

Here's my struggle. Not all of the American consumers shop at Wallmart. The problem with our society is that we/me like to live above our means. For instance the guy that wants that $1,100.00 BBQ grill that is sold at "BBQ Grills R us" (fictional). Now "BBQ Grills R US" is a specialty store that only sells grills.

Now if the guy who can't afford to buy the good grill from "BBQ Grills R Us" goes to Walmart sees a grill, that looks a lot like the one over at the Grill store, for 600.00 less, he thinks to himself wow It may not be as nice, but I'll have me a new grill this summer.

Sad part is his new grill may not last through the next winter. I think places like walmart are geared toward the lower to middle class housholds. The very same housholds that are just making it or worse barely making it.

The rich guy may go to Walmart to pick up some odds & inns but he buys his big ticket items at specialty stores.

Blessings,
dave

Edited by - Dave M on 09/21/2007 12:14:16
Blessings,
dave

quote:

This ties in to an earlier topic we had about what you can do yourself to be independent from material needs, when i move there i would prefer to make or build the things that i can do, eliminate the desires for things that are not necessary and plant/eat what i can from my own land, and of course share whatever bounty i can give to others in need.

I know there will always be a need to import a variety of things for our daily lives, but if we can start thinking seriously about buying everything locally or making everything locally than I would prefer to put my money into those types of businesses and grow our own local economies.

Yeah...what he/she said. I feel the very same way. Don't get me wrong I'm not gonna be out in front of walmart picketing with a sign or anything. Hopefully I'll be seen more at the farmers market!

Blessings,
dave

Blessings,
dave

Its actually impressive how successful and large the makuu market has become....i'm wondering why it can't make it to a two day standard?

Makuu tried to get something going on Saturdays a year or so ago, but it never hit critical vendor mass. Conventional wisdom says this was because a lot of vendors do Hilo on Saturday and Makuu on Sunday.

Is there a seperate fish Mkt or are they combined on one day? They being fruits, Vegetables and fish.

Blessings,
dave

Blessings,
dave