Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations?
Some people who are prone to allergies, like myself, cannot handle tuberose. It actually brings on asthma.

Much as I love a Pikake blossom, a whole lei of them overwhelms me.

I prefer the non-fragrant dendrobium orchid leis.
Just something to note if you do do this for guests who may be sensitive.

As a tip to self-described naive haole, the getting lei'd joke is really overused and in poor taste IMHO, and it makes me wince. If you watch the satirical skit that Duane "the Rock" did for SNL, that particular play on words gets used by the clueless tourists.

Not attacking, but you asked for advice and mine would be to lose that very tired pun.
Enjoy your lei greetings!
I know a Hawaiian lady (how Hawaiian is she?) she is so Hawaiian, that she only gives leis that she makes herself. And by make, I mean the entire process from hand selecting and harvesting every leaf/flower/component that makes up the lei and making it. She believes giving any other type of lei is insincere.

And she uses that "getting lei'd" comment all the time.
We buy ours at KTA.Always fresh and locally made and usually Mtn Apple brand.
Rarely do we buy at airport lei stands,but when we do it is in the mornings when they have the day old lei's of Pua Kene Kene and always only a buck or two.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

I know a Hawaiian lady (how Hawaiian is she?) she is so Hawaiian, that she only gives leis that she makes herself. And by make, I mean the entire process from hand selecting and harvesting every leaf/flower/component that makes up the lei and making it. She believes giving any other type of lei is insincere.

OK, but she is who she is, and not a malihini.
I'm not saying it's horribly offensive, but it's tired, kind of like a lei that was bought a while ago and should have been kept in the cooler.

JMO, FWIW, no need for a debate, take it or leave it, etc.. [Wink]
Another custom is when the tourist is leaving the islands, they should throw their lei in the ocean. If it floats away, they won't be back, if it floats to shore they will return. Green Jade is the most unusual, odd color of green, but beautiful. Pua Keni Keni is small white trumpets (yellow is getting old) & very fragrant. They have plenty at Walmart.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

It is indeed a treasure to receive a lei from someone who made it themselves. I make all my lei, tailored for the person and occasion, with the exception of ordering a pikake lei for my Mom who lives in Honolulu (her favorite). Let the truth be known, not only is it a "labor of love", but also a cost if you buy one (some of us have to feed mo'opuna, etc. [Smile])

The various versions of lei making can be found in "Ka Lei", which was written by a master lei maker, Marie McDonald. (For copious free time reading and learning only. Explanations of the meaning of each flower, etc.) For example, never give someone a hala lei, is what we learned from kupuna.

LOVE jade lei. Wish we had some in our yard. No smell, however, magnificent. Blue or red.

Have a lovely evening all. Mahalo for the discussion. JMO.
Always made my own ... mahalo for dis thread.

aloha,
pog
the leis are pretty nice at the airport, but you have to get there before 3pm to buy them. That's my experience.
quote:
Originally posted by pog

Always made my own ... mahalo for dis thread.

aloha,
pog

pog, you rock. [Smile] Aloha.
Have bought leis before from aunty Lin's at the airport. Her leis are nice and fresh.
My experience is that the leis sold in both airport shops are more unique than the ones found at KTA or Safeway (which I have also bought in the past for numerous guest speakers at events I have organized.)

But if it were my family flying in and I wanted to give them a special lei - then I would pick them up from Aunty Lin's. BTW - both shops close by 6 pm.

Bonus, you can call ahead and order a lei - as least at Lin's shop you can.