Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rush to put in roads
[quote]Originally posted by OnoOno

Hopefully not. It appears, however, that the lava is moving faster than the government. But then, molten rock isn't necessarily on "Hawaii Time".[quote]Originally posted by Lee M-S

Actually, I'm in Mt. View. Maybe I'll lose on the next roll.

Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!

Maybe we should table the pmar argument till after the current disaster. people are cranked enough
That's an awesome proposal, Rob. So glad you linked it.

I wouldn't dismiss the love anyone puts into their home, but sometimes loved homes are sacrificed to eminent domain, and I don't see why this area should be exempt when others are not. Half acre is a good piece of land. Kaloli Point on the makai side of Beach is already half acre.

My in-laws had their land with house cut in half by eminent domain for a freeway. My FIL had built the house with his own hands. He had raised four children there. No one could say it was just a sterile box that could easily be traded for another just like it.

I rented the house after they had moved out because of the freeway and it was in a pause stage of construction, with the grading all done. There was a six lane freeway in the back yard of what had been a home in very open space. Sometimes the price of settling in lightly populated areas is they get picked as the route, and that's what happened.

They didn't make out like bandits, but they accepted it and moved on, and by the time their lives ended it was decades behind them and the angst was past.

That was my first and only experience of eminent domain taking a home. It was sad, but it was an unstoppable force.

When I think about the full on six lane freeway in the back yard where I lived, where my first child was born and lived his first year, that it now carries a huge volume of traffic from LA to connect with I5, BIG trucking, and I hear complaints about a new barely two lane road going through here on Railroad -- I have to think, it could be worse and in a lot of places it would be worse.

But here, everyone goes through hassles every day because that Parkway (with no trucking allowed) isn't there. What if you added up all the value of all that loss of quality of life that occurs for the sake of a small corridor of houses (that would be paid for) and multiply it by fifty years.

Kathy

PS. Another example of silliness being that one landowner won't allow the Puainako extension to connect with Hwy 11, and the County seems reluctant to initiate the process, so everyone using the best cross island route that cost so much to build -- gets to be dumped onto Komohana.
Kathy,
If you read carefully none of us here said someone's home SHOULD NOT EVER be sacrificed to eminent domain, it was said they should get enough money to get out of the situation and into a new home if their yard is chopped in half, putting a parkway right under their bedroom windows. Leilanidude alluded to the "victims" (his air quotes) making out like bandits, my post was in response to turning this into something that is just about money.

They need to put the line for the PMAR on paper so more and more people don't put all that time and love into a home and then lose it to eminent domain.

Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb

edited to clarify
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Csgray, all I was mentioning was what I know and am familiar with, having been on more then one Jury and having a father who was a total prick. People can make major money on their so-called suffering, especially with real estate. BTW I'm not leilanidude, I don't know where he came from, maybe lack of imaginationland.
Leilaniguy,
Apologies all around, nuances are often missed reading posts and I mistook your meaning. Sorry to as well mistake you for that other guy.

Carol

Polish Proverb
Carol

Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH
PS. Another example of silliness being that one landowner won't allow the Puainako extension to connect with Hwy 11, and the County seems reluctant to initiate the process, so everyone using the best cross island route that cost so much to build -- gets to be dumped onto Komohana.

I hate to go off topic, but I need to correct some incorrect information posted by Kathy H. The first phase of the Puainako Street realignment project will go from Komohana Street to Kilauea Avenue.

The state will have to acquire the right of way from 33 landowners for this phase. However, this project is on hold as it stands now. The FY2014-2018 STIP doesn't include this project, as the HDOT has placed a higher priority on completing the final east side Daniel K. Inouye Highway phase.

The latter phase between m.m 5.3 and m.m 11 is being held up by three landowners, who own property in the vincinity of Country Club Estates and the Puainako Street Extension. The CFLHD/HDOT hopes to have the right of way acquired by September 2015.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2012/1...t-project/

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...ities-list

On a side note, I suspect one of these three landowners is also holding up the conveyance of the Puainako Street Extension. The county was supposed to transfer this highway to the state over 10 years ago, but the county has been unable to secure additional right of way the state has requested.
Thanks for correcting me, Aaron. I have read your writing on the subject, and that is actually where I got what was in my head, but I misremembered the details. I doubt still I will remember them, so won't try to be explicit again.

You were the right person to correct me! [Big Grin]

Kathy
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Thanks for correcting me, Aaron. I have read your writing on the subject, and that is actually where I got what was in my head, but I misremembered the details. I doubt still I will remember them, so won't try to be explicit again.

No problem. I wanted to make sure the correct information was dissimnated regarding that project. The final east side Daniel K. Inouye Highway phase has been on my radar for a very long time, so I've kept a close eye on where things stand.

The closest parallel to the PMAR right of way acquisition is the Coupe land condemnation in Kona. It took the county eleven years to acquire the right of way for the second phase of the Mamalahoa Highway Bypass through the Coupe's property . They went as far as petitioning the U.S Supreme Court, who declined to hear their appeal in 2011.

http://www.inversecondemnation.com/inver...main-.html