Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp?
Unfortunately, as the fishermen always point out, Pohoiki is among the highest in commercial landings. I would guess that at least 90% of the boat activity there is commercial. If the Boating Division were to limit size and or numbers, it would not be long before there would have to be an additional ramp out there somewhere. Enforcement of rules like that would be a nightmare, too. I think that there are places that could be used to place a good, safe launch facility that would have low impact on the area, then Pohoiki could be left to strictly recreational uses.

Andy

Yes, fishing is a commercial venture - all those fresh fish stores and daily marketplaces depend on them, as well as you consumers (customers). (BTW, I didn't cook or eat any fish when I was in HI. Crablegs or shrimp, either)
It looked to me that that ramp structure was pretty old, so I'm not surprised to find: it is!
The fact remains that tired surfers, swimming back to shore, or just bobbing while resting, may be struck by incoming or out-going boat traffic, whose pilot is intent on their mission, whatever that is. No idea of what age, conditon or family the floater (potential fatality) may be, so what IS the best (easiest and cheapest) solution?
Should we let skateboarders use the roads? Those in their youth tend to think they are invincible, but graveyards and critical care facilities are loaded with those naive souls, after the incidents.
(Please notice, I haven't used the word victim here at all.)

After the Kalapana settlement was covered, did someone open another general store near that area? Did their customer base (that still had homes, I mean) then have to hike all the way to Pahoa for groceries? Was that original storeowner resented by the residents? Was it used only by the tourists?

(For reference, I also hate to see familiar wholesome sites destroyed. I know I resent those who take barns down, because in today's fast and dirty building techniques, no one will erect a barn as well built as those older models - you can't get the grade of lumber, the craftmenship, or the knowledge of how to orient it (winds and sun directions) unless you know a 90 year old! And have lots of money, too.)

should be on the building thread but yea we got the knowledge, the quality of hard wood (Ohia) and the craftsmanship for sure. THE Money! or the time If I ever get around to one myself.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
I had the pleasure of speaking to Uncle Lloyd about Pohoiki. He is passionate because he is knowledgeable. Plus, he is speaking from a position of experience that cannot be explained by a permit or a license.
This is borne out by the posts by Officer Ford. There are some things that are knowledge through common sense or through the ability to listen to and respect the elders of the place. From that place Uncle Lloyd spoke.

I don't understand how we've lost the ability to listen to our elders. It doesn't matter from where who is from, the elder deserves respect. Maybe you need to work harder to address the elders' concerns before moving forward, or be more inclusive in the process. Whatever it is, there is always wisdom to be had and we need to be open to it.