Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiians/Polynesians are Everywhere!
Viewing life thru the racial lens is getting insanely boring. I know no harm was intended by this thread however it seems the Big Island will never outgrow the racial game which is so incredibly limiting.
quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

Viewing life thru the racial lens is getting insanely boring. I know no harm was intended by this thread however it seems the Big Island will never outgrow the racial game which is so incredibly limiting.

Really? I start a light hearted thread that is clearly labelled as to what it is about, that mentions the spread of the people and cultures of the Pacific Islands and you start snarking about "viewing life through the racial lens". First of all, I was not talking about "race" which is an artificial construct, I was talking about ethnicity, which includes cultural attributes like leis.

You are the one who seems to be stuck on the whole "racial lens" thing, not me!
The simple fact is all of us are migrant immigrants and the only place we would be native is in the Rift Valley in Kenya. And as a result of anthropology research, with common descent from a group of about 2,000 in the southwest corner of South Africa that survived some apocalyptic event 70,000 years ago. It started with finding almost intact woolly mammoths in Siberia having undigested vegetation in their stomachs, but the vegetation was from several thousand miles south, at least in today's climate.

One thing that starts becoming obvious is the oral tradition is common around the globe. Before writing, the oral tradition, each in its form within each culture, was so important that it be passed down for a thousand generations while migrating over thousands of miles for thousands of years. All the oral traditions, beyond explicit details, are generally consistent with each other. Cataclysms and war in the heavens. This is what the ancestors from 70,000 years thought was of absolute importance to pass down to future generations.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

Cataclysms and war in the heavens. This is what the ancestors from 70,000 years thought was of absolute importance to pass down to future generations.

Sounds like climate change to me Ted! Something about those that ignore the past are destined for reruns...
Something about those that ignore the past are destined for reruns...

so very true.

...and conversely, those who ignore the present realities and become overly fixated on the past to the point of obsession tend to be destined for reruns as well.
Ouch.
Lots of cool Hawaiians here in Alaska
I think it has a lot to do with jobs.