Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CoH takes care of it's burglars
quote:
Originally posted by Rob L

The sentencing report that the judge sees is confidential. The judges sees it and is required to take it into consideration when she decides on the sentence. They often have a lot of appalling information about how the defendant was raised/abused, etc. It is very difficult to second guess the judge when they make these decisions. It is not an easy job. The judges don't like to let criminals free, but they have to take all the circumstances into consideration. First offense, no gun, no injury leaves the judge with a lot of room to think that the defendant would only get worse in prison.

Aloha,
Rob L

And you know this.... how?

Then what is the logic or purpose of enhanced penalties declared for crimes committed during a lava emergency if not implemented to protect us from the predators? If this senior citizen had not been able to protect herself and her property, not sure how she did it other than a rumor that a neighbor came over quickly with an intimidating gun, she may have been left in a horrible situation without the necessities such as a vehicle to buy food and get to doctors appointments.

Rob L, while your compassion for the perpetrators in this situation is notable, the reality is obvious....when there are no significant consequences for criminal acts, nobody wins.
"Rob L, while your compassion for the perpetrators in this situation is notable, ...."

I see this statement as an assumption which mischaracterizes Rob's post. Elsewhere and from others I've had the same directed at myself when discussing topics involving the fundamental concept of due process in the criminal justice system. It's about function (or disfunction), not some misplaced compassion for perpetrators.
The thieves or burglar's around here seem to do pretty good for themselves,jmo. Take this guy, in a recent video for example.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20150928_Hawaii_County_police_seek_help_in_identifying_burglary_suspect.html?id=329878681&mobile=true

He has some clean nice untied shoes, shirt looks new, and the ball cap looks like its fresh off the rack. Bad taste if you ask me, The Chicago bears might be the worst team in football this year.
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

"Rob L, while your compassion for the perpetrators in this situation is notable, ...."

I see this statement as an assumption which mischaracterizes Rob's post. Elsewhere and from others I've had the same directed at myself when discussing topics involving the fundamental concept of due process in the criminal justice system. It's about function (or disfunction), not some misplaced compassion for perpetrators.

It is this that seems sympathetic to the perp, however I now can see that it may have been factual, not a biased statement:

"They often have a lot of appalling information about how the defendant was raised/abused, etc. It is very difficult to second guess the judge when they make these decisions."
Breaking into the home of a senior citizen with his crew, and also with the intent to steal her car is unacceptable. The penal system is what it is, I'd rather see the perps behind bars for a long time. At 23 he should know better and have some semblance of compassion for an elder. Without that compassion he falls into the category of a personality disorder such as sociopat which rarely if ever rehabilitates.
Thanks, Punatic007. I understand what you are saying.