Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
container alternative
if you have anywhere near a container, it will cost far more to do it any other way, so might as well bite the bullet. Seems it's either bring it all or hardly anything.
btw, we shipped two vehicles out of Port of Oakland, had to be empty.
I thought it was an anti-terrorism precaution ... that was not quite a year after 9/11, and they searched the cars before loading them.

Yet they didn't search the container at all, far as I know; it was all packed tight.
I would suggest if you dont have enough stuff to fill a 20 foot container, then get rid of your stuff. I say this from expeirence, most of my art work is now warpped, leather items forget it, clothing will mold, funiture will mold... you are better off buying local, unless you have priceless antiques. either put things in storage or get rid of them, for us it helped to downsize, we put everything but the essentials in storage a year before our move, 6 months into storage and I had all but forgot about most of the stuff in storage, it made it alot easier to part with things, we ended up just mailing our belongings through the good ole postal service, cost alot less than a container...[8D]

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
oils paintings and lithographs numbered and signed.. it costs about 500 dollars to get them sealed in glass..thats a piece. I have some wonderful art and it just makes me cry to know that the value is going down on them, luckely we dont live that long, so I will enjoy them in my life but prob. wont be able to pass them down to others..

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
"oils paintings and lithographs numbered and signed.. it costs about 500 dollars to get them sealed in glass..thats a piece."

Dehumidiefiers will work well to preserve those items. I run mine in the house above 80% rh and when I travel. Keeps the collector books, quilts, vintage stereo gear, cameras, laptops, oils etc all very happy.

For extended periods, I close up the house when I cant be there to monitor the rh, It runs about 75 dollars a month or so to keep the house dry (at 50% rh) 24/7.

A more basic approach. A 25 watt bulb for a small space will work wonders - used that for years while bouncing about in sailboats.

One 25 watt bulb will keep a 400 square foot ft. sailboat dry and mold free. Works well in shoreside closets, tool storage areas also.

As to shipping:

I downsized and If I couldn't mail it parcel post - stereos speakers etc, (40 lb bose 901's at 35$ each ) or carry it with me because I didn't trust shipping it. I brought over my grandparents anniversary clock in my carry on .... tick, tick, tick, no one noticed, I passed right through screening twice, no questions asked, they must be very good - grin

If i could not (or cared enough about the item) to bring it using these methods I didn't bring it .. my needs are not great and with a few exceptions for specialized stuff like a/c vacuum pumps etc- it was cheaper to buy new (tools, furniture, appliances etc) than it was to ship it.

the car came pasha ... a really good experience
While I don`t think I could fill a 20` container, I have quite a few very heavy items(baby grand,Hammond organ/Leslie,gun safe,Harley,Bridgeport)that I couldn`t part with,so a container it will be.Maybe,when the time comes,another Jerseyan will need some items shipped.Thanks to all for the info.Tom

Have you researched what the climate does to Piano's and Organs here[?]

Damon Tucker's Weblog
Stillhoping...

If you have expensive art, protect it or be prepared to lose it. If you have copies don't worry about it. It will take 5-10 years at the least for it to start deteriorating.

Have you ever been to the Hermatage in St Petersburg (I am not talking Florida here)? They are one of the few great art museums that did not invest in Climate Control (and they are hardly in the tropics). They have lost billions in art treasures. You can see the peeling paint and warped paper everywhere there.

If you want to save your copies then get a/c or a dehumidifyer and make a gallery room where you keep it. Otherwise... enjoy them for a while and remember they are just "things". You have your health and you are living in paradise.

quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

Lostboystoy,I don't have real stuff,just some copies .
So oil paintings are doomed,unless you spend $500 on each?
But I wouldn't like them under the glass.

I think that it's mostly for the area you live.
Sea View is much sunnier..

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
Devany,what I have it's not even worth talking about.Some unknown artists and the copy of those unknown...But the pictures are nice,hate to lose them.
So, keep em and don't worry about them. Of course it is not easy to loose them, but if you enjoy them for a while it is better than spending a fortune to protect them.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com