Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"fight the bite" relaunch
If I remember correctly, I called Lex Brodie's during the Dengue outbreak (before tires were accepted at the transfer stations) and they wanted 6$ a tire to dispose of them. That can add up.
Where do the local tire companies send old tires for recycling?
There is no clear answer as to where the tires go.. but at some point I would think they would endup in Hong Kong... or maybe even half way to Hong Kong.. (cough..cough)

...And the people bowed and prayed... to the neon God they made.
Lex Brodies waived the tire disposal fee for me when I was there buying 2 tires because I politely bitched about the prices they were charging.
'Hawaii recycling was actually raw material export. It required off-island buyers. That is why there is the news about more cars being abandoned. The commodity price of scrap iron has collapsed, the commodity price of recycled tires has collapsed. If there is nobody willing to pay for shipment of junk off the island, it is going to stay here.'

-

Just speaking to scrap metal there is a bigger issue on the Island, very short summary (simplification for brevity sake):

the owner of B.I scrap metal who has exported direct to S.E Asia for years, holds the county metal contract at the Hilo Landfill for years (decade?) & also owns JYD towing* who previously would pay people $50 for scrap cars (PICK THEM UP!)....the county owes him $5 million dollars, the only company I am aware of that can actually send barges of scrap metal off Island to a foreign country has been pissed all over by the Kenoi admin for 7+ years now

he is in a very long legal battle with the county (pissing contest with Kenoi admin),

*And Atlas Recycling

Edit: My point is, its not so much the falling prices making offshoring the scrap metal something that no longer occurs, it's the pissing contest between Kenoi and Mike Allen why it no longer occurs (before he left office Allen and Harry Kim had an agreement to settle the 5 Million $ debt for 50%)
^ that should say 'hold/held' as in past tense, they pulled out of the landfills a few years back
http://www.hawaiizerowaste.org/recycle/automotive/

The State of Hawai‘i passed legislation mandating by law the proper disposal and management of waste tires. Effective June 26, 2008, pursuant to County of Hawai‘i Ordinance No. 07-182, the County prohibited disposal of tires that are whole, cut, sliced, chipped or shredded at both sanitary landfills and all island-wide transfer stations.

The County of Hawai‘i is NOT collecting any tires at any transfer station and is not accepting tires in the scrap metal bins at any transfer station. It is illegal to drop off your tires at any County facility.

For residents purchasing new tires through a retailer, the old tires being replaced should be left with the retailer. State of Hawai‘i law (H.R.S §342I-23) requires each motor vehicle tire retailer to accept old motor vehicle tires for recycling or disposal in exchange for tires purchased, disposal fees may apply. Otherwise residents needing to dispose of tires can contact the following vendors for proper disposal. Please call vendors to verify how many tires that they can take and any fees that might be involved.