Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Once again, American soldiers win the hearts...
The patrol came upon a pup in an isolated area where it was abandoned an uncared for. They knew it would suffer if left. There were no animal shelters to accept the pup and dispose of it humanly. They were unable to care for it themselves. As a result of this lack of services they elected to euthanize it themselves. They decided it was unwise to shoot it and possibly draw unwelcome attention. They didn't have the heart to crush it. As a last resort, they elected to euthanize it by throwing it off of a high cliff to certain quick death. In a politically incorrect attempt to lighten the situation and otherwise cope, they made jokes of the situation which were unfortunately recorded for posterity.

That was a total fiction I just created. It was also not a real likely scenario. But, it was a possible scenario.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
And to provide some balance:

Capt. Jamisen Fox and Marines under his command adopted the seven mixed breed puppies when they were two weeks old. Now six months old, the humane society raised more than $14,000 to cover the transportation costs to bring the puppies to San Diego from the Middle East.

-------
Today in History
The Supreme Court ruled in Dred Scott v. Sandford that slaves were not citizens, 1857
Quote:
"yes, you are right. But they are the only group of US citizens referred to as "jarheads", for acts just like this!"

Actually gtill is right, the term "jarhead":
Marine Corps Dictionary: Jarhead
A pejorative term for a Marine. One account suggests that it refers to the Marine high and tight haircut which is cut almost to the skin at the ears with a bit more as it goes up the head giving the appearance of a jar. Another legend says that during World War II the Mason Jar Company stopped making jars and made the helmets for Marines.

Its also quite interesting that "Marine/s" is capitalized where sailor and soldier aren't.

People should realize that everything is not as it seems, especially in foriegn countries or in a time of war I actually made it into a magazine when I was in the Marines in the early 90s, Mt Pinatubo had blew up and Marines were sent in to recover bodies. We were at a school where the roof collapsed killing 30 or so, when a photog snapped a pic of me sitting infront of a bunch of bodies smoking a lung rocket. After the pic was published the Navy/Marine command started getting complaints about how no respect was being shown for the dead. Well we had been there 4 days, working 18-20 hrs a day, most of our food was given away, we had to fight to keep fresh water, I hadn't showered in days and was covered in ash, we hadn't found survivors, we were breathing through gas masks then industrial masks. Hell yeah I was jaded, I couldn't do anything for the dead and I need a smoke. The dead were just laid out in flat spot by the road, we didn't put them in bags yet because the local official was supposed to come and identify the bodies before we bagged them and put the bodies in a mass grave.

You can't do the job of a Marine without being jaded. You only job is mission accomplishment and keeping your guys alive the rest is just fluff. I feel bad for the dog and the Marines involved.
Jared (Jarhead?), Thanks for serving. Greg
You weren't on the USS Abraham Lincoln, were you Jared?
Glen,

I was on the Abe for a short period (week or so), I was on the Connie for 6+ months. I was the cabin boy for the CAG on the Connie during a WestPac, it was truly a sweet gig. My real job was a C130 navigator in the Marines(celestial navigation, slide rules, wheel cals, a human gps of sorts), but I also served as a aide for the 3rd MAW CO, the above mentioned cabin boy, a swim instructor, and a courier.