Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Big Island, my Puna
Just to remind everyone, Hawaii is a land that is composed of voyagers and travelers. The roots that are planted here may be strong & wide, but they are not time-wise deep compared to many other cultures. The only way more people ever came here is from the reports of prior voyagers... and the inquisitive spirit of the peoples. We are all voyagers here. (Gawd, this sounds so new age for ME!)
ANYHOO, I am going to answer Stillhopes initial question because I never have posted in the 'favorite subdivision' area because I live in the town...village...intersections called Keaau, not in a subdivision.
Hubby & I chose it because of the small country town feel, with more conveniences than many big towns and the proximity to everything Hilo has to offer without all of the air traffic & all of that big city.... We have 9 roundtrip buses, 2 going to & from Volcano, 1 all the way out to beyond Na'aleu & Southpoint & 6 to & from Pahoa.... and can connect to the rest of the island in Hilo, and its FREE!
This is the first time I have ever been a city dweller. We are some of the few that came here from a more rural area, without city services like roads, water, sidewalks, mail service. It is kinda wierd.... They do deliver mail to our box in front of the house! We can walk to anything we need (saves us having a second car & the INSURANCE on it).
Our house is a rework in progress... but the views of the mountain & ocean constantly remind us how lucky we are to be here...
Thanks,Carey!
It's very tempting to live in walking distance from everything.I chose walking distance to the ocean.But it will be at least 45 minutes to drive to work!My ex husband just recently came from BI where he took care of my project(we are still good friends).He told me that it's a nice drive though(scenic).
I guess,you can't have it all.I am happy with my choice,but I wish I had a bigger lot or be allowed to keep at least a couple of chickens..But I hope to buy some fresh eggs locally.
How far are you from the Farmers Market?How many farmers markets in Puna?

We are 2 blocks from the daily Keaau Farmers Market. I know of 4 main Puna markets: Volcano next to the skate park - Sunday's very early gone by 10:30am; Keaau - main intersection - daily; Makuu - Sunday morning - mid aft. - 130 east (Pahoa) of Makuu street; Pahoa - Luquins lower parking lot - Saturday???
Some of our neighbors have chickens, even though we have small city lots.... and there are always 'jungle fowl' chickens that seem to roam anywhere with no respect for the county zonings!
We loved staying a block from the ocean while we were looking at where to live... but the ocean front maintenance, distance to services (moved here so that I could go back to college), wanting to really minimize our footprint (although house redo due to the critter damage on this house has reduced our 'green' footprint... I cringe, but once I knew the critter load in the house.... RIPPPP went the materials...), reduce our need for cars while enjoying cultural events all pointed to this move into town or somewhere on the Pahoa bus route.
Also we realized the constant maintenance that land here wants, even if you want a native area.... We had lived in an ag subdivision in Illinois with 1/2 of our land in a conservation easement zoning. Clearing out non-natives was usually a week a summer with one or two interns working in a neighborhood cooperative.... here I think it would be every one or 2 months to keep up....without the cooperative.
A PunaWeb Dating Service? That could be interesting! Oh, what's that red choking fellow doing rolling on the floor? Is that Rob? Does that mean he doesn't wanna be da kine Cupid?

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Hey Carey you didn't mention the farmer market located right at the rear of Seaview, at S.P.A.C.E / Belly acres every Sayrday morning. A few people have laying hens in Seaview.

Aloha
Wyatt
"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen