Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Old Hilo Jailhouse
The old Hilo jailhouse, built in 1896 will be demolished. It was last used in the early 2000's. Quote from the article:

* "There’s no historic value to the property."
* Heartwood Pacific LLC, a Keaau-based contractor, was awarded the contract to demolish the old jailhouse in December 2017 after submitting a sealed bid of $853,230.

I agree, it's probably difficult to retrofit a 120 year old brick building, but really? They're going to claim there's no historic value? How many 120 year old buildings are there in Hilo?

Also, $853,230 to tear it down? Are contractors going to break it apart one brick at a time? And nice touch, bidding $853,230. Not $850,000, because you know, it's better if it looks like somebody sat down at a large manila file covered desk and calculated the exact costs.

At that price, it looks to me like the this time the robbers are outside the jailhouse, not inside. A fitting end to the structure.
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...jailhouse/
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Also, $853,230 to tear it down?

There's a huge missed opportunity here, and I'm really surprised nobody's going for it:

Claim "historical status" for the structure and turn it into a museum.

Presto: retrofitting funds, maintenance funds, staffing, cash-only admission that can be subjected to "poor handling" just like the Hele-On fares, etc.

Are contractors going to break it apart one brick at a time?

If they do, will the bricks be made available (for a price) so people can build something with them? It's the least they could do.
I would imagine a large part of the cost is asbestos remediation.Is there even a landfill in Hawaii that can take that kind of stuff ?
Not to mention lead based paint. Easiest way to dispose of such is to Barge it out of here and have a "accident" resulting in the barge "accidentally" sinking enroute.
Asbestos - watering so no dust .
Lead based paint - the land fill will not take these toxins - all must be barged to calif for special treatment and burial .
Perhaps a new facility can replace this older than dirt antiquated structure with more spaces for the law breaking Neanderthals amongst us .build 4 stories under ground and 3 stories above ground and before it is even built - it is over crowded .
We say - buy an old air craft carrier and retro fit it for an off shore prison of 5000 plus cells .
The Navy has them in mothball row in Bremerton
Wa for cool million each.
Yes time to demolish our hilo Alcatraz .
Mrs Mimosa
buy an old air craft carrier and retro fit it for an off shore prison of 5000 plus cells

Not a bad idea, but ankle bracelets for nonviolent offenders would be cheaper.