Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aloha, Welcome To Hawaii, Kapu & Keep Out
... we can all take credit...

I read earlier this week that In 1881 King Kalakaua met with Thomas Edison and discussed electrical power generation on Big Island with geothermal heat, and transmitting that power to Maui & Oahu with undersea cables.

The White House in Washington DC didn’t have electricity until 10 years later in 1891.

Can you imagine if Hawaii had been powered with abundant, affordable electricity for well over 100 years? Renewable, low CO2 power for all of the islands. Had a large scale endeavor like that been constructed, what other projects may have been attempted over the years, far ahead of their time?

When I hear practitioner/protestors call development a plague I wonder, do they even know their own history and the cutting edge, forward thinking ideas supported by the Hawaiian Monarchy?
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session20...SCR99_.HTM
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Can you imagine if Hawaii had been powered with abundant, affordable electricity

Let's all imagine a Hawaii where the government runs efficiently for the good of the people. Cheap electricity would be a mere side effect.

Anyone calling over/under on this year's property tax increase? I'll throw ten bucks into the pool.
Edge, Mahalo!
You are definitely one of a Kind!

Did you happen to play a small part in the classic movie Animal House? Well, you should have.

Could you just imagine Pele's gift's meant for generations of future Puna Keiki being needed, bought and used by the TMT and Oahu's transit system? It's possible that Helco, our State and the PGV sure can. Pele's gifts may be more than just a big pipe dream to them and their stock holders.

That interisland Electric Cable idea King Kalakaua had in 1881 was certainly an entertaining idea then and now. The building, Maintaining and fixing of this ocean cable may not help the islands many reefs, whales and big game fish. Also, King Kalakaua may have envisioned or hoped his own people benefited or prospered from his worthy idea as well.

Thankfully, This nation of Hawaii has many alternative resources that could help create and diversify future electricity. Cleansing amounts of rain water falls onto Hawaii's many mountains yearly. This rain water could be brought down with turbine ladened pipes. Also, The great Pacific ocean surrounds us while ample amounts of sunshine and wind grace these magical islands daily. T&O

That's just what the tourism authority should be doing, scaring off tourists by making them feel unwelcome. Welcome to Hawaii, you rude tyrannical tourists.

Sociopaths.
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

Sociopaths.

If you like that, go ahead and check out the salaries for the HTA employees (you might want to be sitting down).

https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/08/databa...-salaries/
Over 250 employees, half making over $60k and many between $100-270k.

Make you wonder what the sum total of their output is. Or how the folks making $200k+ would allow condescending anti-tourist videos to be produced on their watch. I guess no one is worried about losing a government job, short of inbound missile alerts...
HereOnThePrimalEdge what other projects may have been attempted over the years, far ahead of their time?
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session20...SCR99_.HTM

WHEREAS Tom Edison, volcano power, yada yada
WHEREAS, geothermal is a top source of renewable energy yada yada
WHEREAS the EPA asserts that greenhouse gases threaten public health yada yada
WHEREAS the Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative aims to meet seventy per cent of the State's energy needs through renewable sources by 2030 yada yada

BE IT RESOLVED that the County of Hawaii is requested to establish a working group to analyze the potential development of geothermal energy

Bit long on the setup, but the punchline is solid even for a 10 year old joke. Maybe this year's legislature can request to convene a working group to analyze the potential results? But if IT BE RESOLVED, there would be no more money allocated to keep studying it?

The life-blood of the land is perpetuated in not right-now-eousness.
what other projects may have been attempted over the years

Admittedly, I looked at the original 1881 concept through rose colored glasses, back in a time when Edison's lab produced results. If, if, if - - - a geothermal project had been undertaken with the same effort as perfecting the light bulb, the phonograph, etc, before Hawaii state and county officials became nothing but paper pushers, we might have had a more results oriented group of people in charge over the years.

But that was not to be, and all we're left with at this juncture are pronouncements trailed by a late, flaccid punchline. Even the unintentional jokes by our legislators can't rise to the level of camp, worthy of mocking by a Mystery Science Theater 3000 type political satire site. That would require slightly more effort on their part.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by kalianna

I have to agree with the practitioners on this one. We have friends who live in the Waipio Valley, on the far side, across the river and not near any trails. They had a beautiful outdoor composting toilet that they actually had to enclose to keep tourists from coming through the gate onto their property and walking up to them in the lou to ask for directions. What is the objection to a booklet asking people for a little courtesy and respect?

Same thing happened to us at our remote cabin in the Sierra’s in California. We now have to pad-lock our outhouse...and our fire pit grill. I think this happens just about everywhere now with rude tourists. Back in the day it was different and people had respect, now it appears many have no boundaries with is unfortunate. I am good with having tourists sign a pledge and provide them with info to respect private property.

Stacey
Living the life in Cali and Hawai‘i
Stacey
Living the life in Cali and Hawai‘i