Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Governor Lingle
2 times? come on....

or am I missing something.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Smith

I believe the appointment has to be made from the same political party.

Dave,
Right, that is what happened with a State Senator (what's her name?) from Oahu a few years ago.

Same for US Senator?

btw: (in the State Senator case, a Republican changed to a Democrat to fulfill that requirement, wasn't it?).

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
quote:
Originally posted by Jon

2 times? come on....or am I missing something.

Fair question.

IMHO after the re-election, the goal was no longer to get re-elected governor. First terms are about getting re-elected and second terms are for doing politics. Maybe even trolling for a Cabinet-post in Washington with McCain? Whatever. Just seemed any hint of compassion disappeared, except for a narrowing set of interests -- epitomized by focusing on the McCain campaign even as our state's economic canoe was taking on water. IMHO.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Whatever with Lingle, but Dan Inoue will move into the head of appropiations as Byrd just stepped down. Not a bad thing for Hawaii, and Dan is still strong.
Gordon J Tilley
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

She came across as a progressive candidate out of Maui. I, and many others, voted for her only to discover she was really George W. Lingle mascarading as a moderate. I know I won't be fooled again.

I can completely relate to this feeling. A lot of us thought Lingle was going to break up the old boys network and bring about some change. All that changed was the old boys added 1 woman to their club.

Rob - when you take 2008 elections down - is it too early to put up 2010 ? [Smile] or maybe we can have a "Hawaii politics" forum and keep it out of the "other" forum.
Federal law allows each state to establish how U.S. Senate vacancies are filled. Hawaii law calls for the governor to appoint a temporary replacement to the U.S. Senate until the post can be filled at the next regular election. The governor must pick from a list of three candidates provided by the party of the former incumbent, and the one picked would serve out the remainder of the original term.

In 2005 Lingle picked Oahu small businesswoman and lobbyist Bev Harbin to replace state Rep. Ken Hiraki, who had left for business reasons. Harbin had joined the Democratic Party just a few days after Hiraki announced his resignation (it was almost as though she knew she might be picked!). Harbin later refused Lingle's request to resign when it was found she had shut down a business owing the state $125,000 and had some check-kiting convictions in the past. She ran for the office the following year but lost in the primary.

The Hawaii law for U.S. Senator vacancies requires that the person picked must have been a member of that party for at least six months. The law was amended in 2007, and although I'm not sure which part, I wouldn't be surprised if it and the ones regarding Hawaii legislative vacancies were changed in response to the Harbin debacle.

Thanks for this, Dave.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Smith

Federal law allows each state to establish how U.S. Senate vacancies are filled. Hawaii law calls for the governor to appoint a temporary replacement to the U.S. Senate until the post can be filled at the next regular election. The governor must pick from a list of three candidates provided by the party of the former incumbent, and the one picked would serve out the remainder of the original term.

In 2005 Lingle picked Oahu small businesswoman and lobbyist Bev Harbin to replace state Rep. Ken Hiraki, who had left for business reasons. Harbin had joined the Democratic Party just a few days after Hiraki announced his resignation (it was almost as though she knew she might be picked!). Harbin later refused Lingle's request to resign when it was found she had shut down a business owing the state $125,000 and had some check-kiting convictions in the past. She ran for the office the following year but lost in the primary.

The Hawaii law for U.S. Senator vacancies requires that the person picked must have been a member of that party for at least six months. The law was amended in 2007, and although I'm not sure which part, I wouldn't be surprised if it and the ones regarding Hawaii legislative vacancies were changed in response to the Harbin debacle.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
You're welcome James, altho I need to make a slight correction to the above: The one picked by the governor would serve only until the next regular election and not the remainder of the term, unless those are one and the same.
I think the state made a rather big mistake when it elected Lingle. Did the voters not look closely to the damage she did to Maui as it's Mayor before they voted?

I hope to never she her or Sara Palin in politics ever again after their terms run out!

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!