Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The resort below Ocean View is on the table again
The costs to build this project will be too high precluding a reasonable return on any investment. On top of that it would be built in a geologically hazardous area
"The costs to build this project will be too high precluding a reasonable return on any investment. On top of that it would be built in a geologically hazardous area"

Is this a statement as to why you think it will not happen or is it just your opinion on the project because I believe that would be up to the investor to decide.

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
quote:
Originally posted by dirk1609

Anyone have any further info on this? Damon?

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/articles/...ocal03.txt

Not much info...

Thoughts... yeah!

Bring that bad boy in here w/in the next 3-4 months... Hire me at Management or Higher Position.... Let me retire ... Bring on my son in my old position... let him retire...

Bring in Pele... Start from scratch.

Rebuild when My Great Grandchild is looking for job.... etc. [Big Grin]

Damon Tucker's Weblog
Finally, a resort for people who live where the air is perhaps too clean and want to get away to suck up some vog.
Seriously - imagine overlooking that little detail!
It would never work, unless of course they hired Damon. LOL.

WHY can't those crazies just stay over on the brown side?

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
quote:
Originally posted by Blakeyboy1
Is this a statement as to why you think it will not happen or is it just your opinion on the project because I believe that would be up to the investor to decide.

Its actually both a statement why this project won't happen and my opinion about this project. The infrastructure construction won't be cheap. It will probably easily outstrip the 1 billion spent to develop Hokulia.Thus there won't be much of a ROI for anyone that invests in this project.

On top of that, there is a very good chance the development could go up in flames due to a lava flow from Mauna Loa.
Blakeyboy, very incisive comment! There IS a capitalist hidden inside you after all!

How about 5-10 years down the line[?]
How about the construction and service jobs[?]
How about the infrastructure the developer will have to put in for the right to build[?]

Great questions, Scott.

If I had the ability to peer 5-10 years into the future I'd be a rich man.

I'd love to see more jobs created, but when I see Keauhou Resort on the brink of foreclosure, Waikoloa struggling with record low occupancy rates, local opposition to the project (rational or not), not to mention vog and the inevitable eruption of Mauna Loa, then investors would indeed have to have a high tolerance for risk to pull the trigger on this one.

If it were YOUR money, do you have the risk tolerance to peer 5-10 years into the future and put your money on the line in light of current conditions? It would be way too rich and risky for my blood. Unless, of course, the government would agree in advance to bail me out in the event of failure ;-)

Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Shhhh Ric! Let's keep that between us ;-)

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
I just can't imagine wanting to stay there given the thousands of locations one could stay in our state that have far more to see and do and aren't drenched in vog, even if your definition of seeing and doing means being out in undeveloped nature away from it all. There are much more desirable areas that were developed and failed miserably, leaving ghost towns behind. My recent visit to Molokai and the former resort on the West End is one example. There is already a development in Kau and it is so forgettable I forget the name. People that stay in fancy resorts like the beach to be right there, and Punalu'u is a cold, crowded beach, with busses full of tourists harassing resting turtles if my last visit is representative.
The vog issue is a huge one. Some friends that visited the Kona side from CA last year didn't see the sun at all in a week and are going to Maui this year. Kau will always get the worst of it and Kilauea is not going away. Even if the current eruption ended, the next east or west rift zone eruption would send the worst vog that way.
I agree we have enough capacity. Even in boom times we had lower occupancy than other islands. I was a tourist here a dozen times before moving and never even considered staying in Kau except possibly Wood Valley. The kind of people that love big resorts are not the same as people that love to be totally remote and roughing it in terms of shops and restaurants. Construction jobs for a few months are not enough to justify permanent blight in my mind, let alone harming an ecologically sensitive and unique area.