Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods
I for one, am thrilled. Puna Not-So-Fresh was pretty awful (except for the fish guy! He was great!) In the past few years I've had several dinners ruined by their bad grocery practices. Rancid meat, bugs in their dry ingredients, soured dairy, things that have been frozen that never should have been and then pawned off as fresh, rotten and mouldering fruits and veggies... I've gone in and seen poorly packaged meat falling out of it's packaging, co-mingling with other kinds of meat that had fallen out of it's packaging... I like the people that work there, but a safe, quality grocery store it is NOT. Hopefully the changes will remedy that.
Melissa Fletcher
Foodland caters to all demographics in a pretty decent way. foodland beretania on oahu is evidence of that, not to mention they have them in areas as diverse as kalihi to aina haina. Im not cheerleading for foodland, just saying it will be nice to have on sort of nearby compared to PFF.

quote:
Originally posted by Hazen

I think it will be interesting to see which demographic Foodland caters to. I just read the other day that 54% of Puna is on some form of public assistance, with a large portion 200% below the poverty line. I know a lot of that population lives up the highway between Keaau and Volcano. That's a lot of guaranteed foodstamp and WIC money. It should be interesting to see where they tailor their market.

Obviously SPAM, beer, and Vienna Sausages will be big sellers. But Puna FF had a reputation for "interesting meats", GREAT local fish, and outdated goods. I speculate that their small size probably kept them from a reliable or competitive supplier. I know i was usually underwhelmed by their meats and produce. Hopefully they will follow the KTA model and recognize the environmental and financial benefits of buying and selling the same people. It always seemed silly to see old expensive lettuce in PFF when the best greens on the planet are grown only a few miles mauka.

Guess we'll find out. At least the Keaau Natch is still kicking, great spices and good prices.

Hazen

devany, good deal on your turkey.

i'm with some others here--have only had the frozen type. it never fails to turn out wonderful when using one of those oven bags.

more than likely, the new foodland store will have the same format as that of the downtown and puainako foodland/sack n save stores. these stores already accept wic and food stamps as do the other larger grocers. we haven't heard that an olive bar will be in the new kea'au store. i know that a lot of us would love to have one.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

**bump**

the new foodland in kea'au to open on december 4. regular hours of operation are from 6am - 10pm.

w. james

w. james

I can't wait to see it open. I hope they do a nice job with it, as I plan on shopping there a lot more if they do.