Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Friday
It's snowing here. I'll be working on getting my three Christmas trees put up. It is my worst vice. I am only an hour away from the Old World Christmas Ornament outlet. Shopping? Not in this weather.

Life goes on, with you or without you.
Peace and long life
not me either unless HPM santa delivery truck pulls in my driveway.

Having just moved a whole 600 ft away, I realized I got too much stuff. Even for the wedding, people have asked what we need - I say more room not more stuff.
Well, we had intended to do no shopping today.... but then our ShopVac started to complain with a loud grinding sound... bearings were hot & grinding, called around... found the most prevalent advice... get a new one... you will never get the right bearings here- go online.........

Ace had the same ShopVac on their Black Friday ad (cheaper than shipping or special order charges for the bearing)... it was near the end of the "Sale Morning" & I was sure that there would be nadda.... but hubby came back a proud vac-pappa.... said there were lots on the floor...mind you - this is Keaau.... and we bought a vacuum (not your bells & whistles electronic-must-have-Xmas item) but ...

The Ace did have enough of them in stock in the normal hours of Black Friday morning, so that is our BF saga.... 'cept now we have another ShopVac that only needs a bearing that will cost more than a new vac!
I had a repaired clock to deliver to the other side of Hilo so out of sheer curiosity I drove past the Hilo shopping area. This was a couple hours before lunch and there were still some empty parking spots over in front of the defunct Border's Books but the parking lot was pretty full. The Prince Kuhio mall parking lot was pretty full, too. The parking lot in front of Puainako KTA was pretty empty, though so I guess folks still had loads of leftovers from Turkey Day. We went up to the Crafts fair at Cooper Center and the artists studio tours in Volcano Village. Lots of nice stuff and some of it was selling, but more craft fair stuff was selling than at the artist's studios. I think the best lunch deal in Volcano was the one at Ira Ono's studio. There is an interesting garden to eat it in, too.

On the way back, we stopped at Long's and got calendars for all the mainland folks we know so the majority of our Christmas shopping is now done. Guess we did our little bit to help Black Friday, but I suspect it will be more of a Gray Friday than Black.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
>I myself will be heading into Hilo about 3:00am for the 4am opening at Sears

Wow, that's dedication! What did they have, what did you get?
Just a reminder that the Volcano Artists Tour is this weekend. Many great gifts. It's fun to go to the artist's studio and prices are much better than galleries. Also a great way to tour the Village.
The worst Black Friday complaint came from a couple wearing lace up hiking boots and complaining to one of the artists that they had to take their shoes off to enter his studio.
It wasn't so much the getting as much as just doing something completely different. I got a toster over and some cookware. The big draw was a notebook for $175.00 at Radioshack which I got also by gluing myself to the front door until they opened at 5:30am and then going right to the counter (from experience..they always put the high priced BARGAINS BEHIND THE COUNTER ON BLACK FRIDAY)