Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$1.5 million toward a coastal road into Puna?
Thanks for the explanation, Carol. That was very helpful. Ryan
My 2 cents, not that anyone cares.
Plowing through hpp is a short sighted and a stupid idea for many reasons, but then no one really knows what they're doing here. Here's the PMAR plan, 3rd drawing down on the page hints on where they propose to disrupt an awful lot of people who have settle into their retirement homes and don't have another move in them, gonna force them out? or just cut their lot in half and run a highway past them when they thought they built in an Ag. area, surprise!

http://www.fukubonsai.com/bi6e.html

No to mention the new highways we have running down the main roads where people go routinely 55 and a idiot in a brown ford pick up was doing 85mph up Paradise. Lucky one of those other stupid people wasn't riding their quad runner with their kid hanging on their neck zippin up and down the streets.

Very soon we will have the tragety that happens when two stupid people meet.
David Fukumoto's plan is supported solely and only by David Fukumoto.

But it's good to know people are reading and researching.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by makuu

My 2 cents, not that anyone cares.
Plowing through hpp is a short sighted and a stupid idea for many reasons, but then no one really knows what they're doing here. Here's the PMAR plan, 3rd drawing down on the page hints on where they propose to disrupt an awful lot of people who have settle into their retirement homes and don't have another move in them, gonna force them out? or just cut their lot in half and run a highway past them when they thought they built in an Ag. area, surprise!

http://www.fukubonsai.com/bi6e.html

No to mention the new highways we have running down the main roads where people go routinely 55 and a idiot in a brown ford pick up was doing 85mph up Paradise. Lucky one of those other stupid people wasn't riding their quad runner with their kid hanging on their neck zippin up and down the streets.

Very soon we will have the tragety that happens when two stupid people meet.

You must own in the area mentioned? Take the buyout and move if it bothers you.
What happens WHEN (not if) HPP is nearly built out? Where would all the traffic go? It doesn't matter if it is zoned AG or not. The fact is that it is a subdivision and WILL be built out at some point.
take the buy out? simple retort. That takes into account all the back breaking sweat you put into something only to have people who live somewhere else want to drive right through your life? What about all the old folks who can't move?
You really think a buy out is gonna be equitable? Fair? Market Value? lol please.
Yes Hpp will be built out and their playing catch up with everything they do is short sighted. They just paved all the way to the water without shoulders, quick and cheapest way to get by is how it goes. Same old same old way of thinking, "we've been doin that way for 30 years!" don't make it right. HPP is/was ag lots. the most they've been growing is junk houses that now sit empty. Good planning.
It may be useful to realize that when you dive most any road around here, especially the Keaau bypass, that you are driving over land that once was someone's home or farm. PMAR will require takings that that is a fact. I find it hard to accept that HPP's residents, which are a huge part of the traffic issue, should not play a role in the solution. Its not fun. It is necessary. It happens all the time all over the country and the world.

Like it or not an alternative route into one of the nation's largest cul-de-sacs will be coming.

There has been little or no good planning in Puna for the last fifty years. At some point this has to change.

Just my opinion.

Punaweb moderator
If the Railroad option isn't a case for eminent domain, I don't know what is.
Part right Rob it ain't a cul-de-sac per say there are several ways in and out already. Just not pass throughs for lower Puna. One pathway the doesn't cut striaght through is RR and it could be resurected, if you could get all these one person operated car drivers on it.
It is really not that complicated. Merge lanes at the tops of all the major roads that exit HPP would be a start. Lights would be a life saver. Round abouts a nightmare. Roads with shoulders a help. Getting local gov. to do any of it sad and pitiful.

"There has been little or no good planning in Puna for the last fifty years."

EXACTLY, doesn't mean we should keep it going another 50 the same way does it?
Please feel free to take charge of the issue then. Perhaps you are the one to find the perfect solution.

Its a good thing that people are talking and thinking about it. Something needs to be done.

Punaweb moderator
At the recent HPP Board meeting, I put forward a proposal that the Board start a process for the community to arrive at a comprehensive, sensible position on the PMAR. I am working with my district board member to come up with a nuts and bolts formal motion to establish that process. This should happen soon, perhaps at the April Board meeting.

I pointed out to those at the last meeting that the $1.5M for study is from the State and not the County. The State DOT has a history of not seriously paying attention to citizen input on such matters. In my conversations with neighbors and in the course of my participation in HPP affairs, I have found that opinion on the PMAR is all over the place. Some people oppose it in any form and promise to obstruct it ad infinitum, if possible. Others are more pragmatic and willing to consider something that minimizes impact and justly compensates those impacted. Yet others would only support a restricted "emergency only" escape route. Some of the people in the obstructionist category are there because they don't trust the State or County to mitigate and compensate adequately for impact.

Many question the purpose of such a road. Is it to be an emergency outlet for potential disaster isolation? Or is it just another way to get people to and from Hilo? It seems ironic that people who often complain about Puna's economy being based on the "drive to Hilo" principle support a road through HPP that will probably become a new commuter route.

FWIW, my personal position is still evolving, but I count myself in the "show me something I can live with that is just" category. The good news here is that the stirrings of a community negotiating position are beginning.