Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK, I am now over the rain. Ready for sun.
We definitely acclimate!

Every year I am here, winter feels colder. This is my 10th winter on island, and I can't even walk around the house without fuzzy slippers on (I do have stone floors), Same as I would mainland, but here if the house gets chilly I can't hit the thermostat.

I figure 68 was my waking hours inside temp in California. If it is 62 here, it's colder than my house was in winter there, and there I wore warm clothes inside ... than I no longer own here.

Of course, it is far warmer than there when I go outside. I am not complaining, but I do believe that the temperature tolerance changes. Thinning blood? Dunno.

My secret weapon is those fuzzy throws for when I'm sitting awhile. Because it would be too warm to wear a jacket, so I just use the throws. Brrr ... I need hot tea.

This winter reminds me of 2003-04. It was very wet Nov. and Dec. of '03.

"And I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody, outside of a small circle of friends ~ Phil Ochs
HD,

Wot, no bragging about Kaloli's micro climate now ? LOL ...

Constant complaint is the poorest sort of pay for all the comforts we enjoy.... Ben Franklin.

Love it or leave it for Aridzona ...

pog
Looking good at the Hilton Waikoloa. Gonna head over there this morning on Saddle Rd. I don't think I'd try the north road. The gulches probably have debris over the road from all the rain.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/hawaii/bigisland/waikoloa/
I was in so cal last week - 36 degrees at night - love the warm rain back here - grin
One of my friends who lives in Mountain View, after I'd complained about all the rain one winter, said, "When the sun comes out, all will be forgiven." And it was. Every time.

We're on our way to Arizona (in our RV) in 2 days to visit my mom. We're really looking forward to some warm(er) weather (we've been in Pueblo, CO, for a month - this is considered the BANANA BELT of Colorado - LOL!)...but we had our RV pipes freeze in Tucson one time, so we know it's no guarantee.

When we would get discouraged by the heavy rains in Mountain View, we would (finally) decide it was time for a day of sunshine on Kona side....

Hope you dry out soon.... but yeah, at least it's a WARM rain!! [Smile]

Wherever you go, there you are.
Wherever you go, there you are.
May as well enjoy it, stay in bed late with an extra cup of coffee - In my case I did choose to live in a rain forest with well over a 100 inches a year and enjoy every minute of it

My mainland place struggles to see 12 inches a year (but has 700 year old oak trees out front

stuff grows so slow out there, My canyon neighbors cringe when they see me come out with a chainsaw in my Puna gardening mode - grin
Just got back from the Makuu Market and got soaked. Lots of regular booths weren't there today. No band.
We are on 23rd and it seemed like it poured all night long. Good thing I sealed up a roof leak about 6 weeks back, and it seems to be holding.

jon
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Weather Undergound's Wundermap is a great way to get a sense of what is blowing in here. We've been getting it in waves, which is standard, but the waves this weekend have been between torrential and downpour, rather than our usual showers with clearing between. Our house is up high so we can see the weather coming in, usually we plan things like walking the dogs based on the clear patches we see coming, but this weather has been moving in really fast, by the time you find your slippers to go out, it is pouring again. I was amazed we only lost power once yesterday, I could hear the big albizia cracking in the gusts all around us, and saw a couple come down.

I lived in Western Oregon for 25 years, so rain is no stranger to me, but I still like to go to the dryside to dry out and warm up when it is like this. I hope the Waimea and Ka'u ranchers are getting some of this rain, they really need it.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Noticed this just a few minutes ago. Looks like a real dozy of a storm approaching the east side of the big island... I say about about 30 minutes from hitting the coast

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=HWA&lat=19.52675056&lon=-154.90814209&label=Pahoa%2c%20HI
We have been getting drenched down here too. Last year rainy season had long passed by now. I try to remember these chilly rainy days when August comes, when it is sweltering at 85 down here.

I look at some of the people freaking out all over from the rain, and think just what Rob pointed out earlier - 29" in 2000. Now thats real rain. The light never changed that day - it seemed dawn/dusk all day long.

And if its any consolation today Kona should be getting pounded too.