Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
plastic bag ban unhealthy?
How about we "price" things to match their "cost", and let the "free market" decide?

Willing to bet that plastic (or paper) bags actually "cost" the better part of a dollar, when all the externalities ("environmental impact") are included, and this makes reusable bags a clear winner.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

How about we "price" things to match their "cost", and let the "free market" decide?

Willing to bet that plastic (or paper) bags actually "cost" the better part of a dollar, when all the externalities ("environmental impact") are included, and this makes reusable bags a clear winner.

Sounds good to me if thats what wallyworld wants to do thats great. I think people were doing a great job educating people already, I only got the plastic bags when I needed them.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
awfjam, because letting corporations choose how they wish to treat the environment has worked out so well for the world?
quote:
Originally posted by hotinhawaii

awfjam, because letting corporations choose how they wish to treat the environment has worked out so well for the world?

Aren't you the one choosing to buy from the corporation? Is it the corporation who failed to properly dispose of the plastic? Nobody has any right to pollute your airspace or water, this could be settled in court. Of course instead of that, the EPA makes special rules for their corporate buddies and prevents individuals from protecting themselves. You can't talk about the corporations, without talking about the government that enables them to be "evil corporations" other then that enabling, they are groups of people like you and me who are supposed to follow the same rules we do, and they only exist because we want their services.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
Maybe we just need to learn to wash the reusable bags. Most of us wash our dishes and underwear, either of which could be a health hazard if unwashed.

quote:
Originally posted by davidr

Here's a link to a story that seems to suggest that plastic bag bans can be unhealthy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newsp...2753.story

----------------
Aloha spelled backward...think about it.
><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ ><> ~~~~ >(>
[quote]Originally posted by Lee M-S

Maybe we just need to learn to wash the reusable bags. Most of us wash our dishes and underwear, either of which could be a health hazard if unwashed.

[quote][i]

Spot on. Geez what did we ever do before the miracle of plastic came along. Not that I am perfect by any means, but we should be thinking up even more ways to eliminate plastic from our world.
The plastic bag ban is not an outright ban, retailers & consumers are given a choice, but the ban is a ban on FREE plastic bags (whether the retailer uses paper, plastic, lauhala, biodegradable or whateva is up to the retailer & the fee collected can go any where the retailer chooses, some are donating to the food basket, one is donating to beach cleanups - and consumer - if they chose to purchase a plastic bag...if the retailer chooses to offer them)

I do enjoy the plastic bag PSA that was created right here in this county to encourage the use of resuse bags, esp. when the lady says to just "tro' em in the wash...it is soo easy" & soo local!
Remember the old westerns?
ma and pa and a wagon full of children would come into town for their supplies, load up that wagon with potatoes sacks and home made wooden boxes.
I still go home with 8 to 10 plastic bags from the produce dept at KTA.

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
wasteful bellyachers Wink

wash them reusables, its not going to kill ya, or hard, and wont take 2 hours....
this ban should have been forced 20+ years ago!

....and get rid of the paper bags too, anything that is one time use is bad for the environment!

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha