Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New restaurant opening in Pahoa tomorrow
I was unimpressed with the "new" Smokin'Joe (in front of Pahoa Feed), seems like the food was better when they were on the bypass (at the corner of Post Office Road).
[Smile]

I hope it is still open when I get to Hawaii later this year. I love BBQ, and I hope they people/guy who runs it appreciates his help and compensates them properly.

I wanted to make another point,about how expensive things are in Hawaii. Besides Milk, Cereal and Gasoline things are on par or cheaper than here in Iowa. Even your housing costs are less. Electricity per KW is a lot more in Hawaii, but it sure as heck costs less to cool a house down 6 to 10 degrees -vs- 50 degrees, or heat your house from -20 to 70f. Even at 3 or 4 times the cost of energy.

Heck, at below 90f we never use anything besides a fan anyway. And our electric bill is always over $200 a month. Problem is it will be over 90 for 2 and 1/2 months starting soon. And 75 to 90% humidity.

You have cleaner air and water than here, and we have some of the best of both on the mainland. You also have interesting people there, not just 96% white racist aholes. I almost have to wear sungalsses to go to Walmart.

Iowa is doing better, and there are only a few better places with Pahoa being one of them in the whole world. I am Happa American Indian/German. This time of year before I got old I would get so dark I was mistaken for black, which did not ever bother me anyway.

I know this is way off topic, but I saw the rant about wages. Maybe initally they may be low, but I have had many ventures, and as profits went up the people who helped make them shared the windfalls. I sold my last business 4 years ago for a small fortune to 2 of my employees, and they are still doing fine. They built it with me and deserved it when I had to quit. Cancer really whipped my butt.
[Wink]

I have been sick again, I think we are going to turn it around for me in the next couple of months. Hope to see you soon.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick
40 degrees not 50....my bad[:I]

Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick
I ate there tonight. Food was good, but...

They still have some bugs to work out. While I was there, 2 parties walked out, and one other was only partially served.

Main complaint, the half order of ribs come with sides, full order doesn't. Server couldn't explain this, this caused one walkout, and a couple left with the wife's order, the husband canceled his.. I don't see the logic of this myself.

At 6:30 PM on Friday night, the ribs weren't ready yet. You gotta be ready to go on a weekend night. 8 potential customers, 2 got served. I think this is what caused the other walkout.
quote:
Originally posted by Wuzzerdad

[Smile]

You have cleaner air and water than here, and we have some of the best of both on the mainland. You also have interesting people there, not just 96% white racist aholes. I almost have to wear sungalsses to go to Walmart.

Rick, seriously? You're coming here with that attitude?

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
quote:
Originally posted by nana valley

quote:
Originally posted by Wuzzerdad

[Smile]

Rick, seriously? You're coming here with that attitude?

And my attitude is what? That I don't like racist assholes, and like clean air and water? Is that a problem with comming to live in Puna?

I was just wondering if you actually read what I wrote before you copped an attitude with what I said?

For the record, I hate racist assholes and love clean air and water.[Big Grin]

If that is a problem with being compatible with Puna Hawaii, let me know....[}Smile]

Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick
WOW..........

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
try this thread
http://punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16441
Well we went yesterday for a late lunch. Here is my "southern gentleman who knows his ribs and BBQ" take on it:

Service was slow - not waitress / she was on it and friendly - order coming from kitchen took about 1/2 hr, and we were only ones there. We wondered about Friday dinner time.... might be really slow.

Lillikoi juice, collard greens were exceptional. Fried okra was a nice touch.

Ribs not too bad but needed a better BBQ sauce. It was a little like Blaine's katsu sauce... which we like but wasnt BBQ really.

Pulled pork was bland, not much smoky BBQ flavor. Buns seemed to be just out of a package buns! Maybe they can collaborate with one of the many baker's around and get artisan buns! Smile

SB's guess was because they are small, the pulled pork and ribs went on at the same temp and length of time. One needed more time and one needed higher temp and less time.

No non-sugar iced tea available - maybe cuz southern BBQ place and southerner's always drink sweet tea? But they have sodas so it was okay.

Baked beans were just okay. Not good or bad - or as my hubby said "blue Hair" beans like my mom made (which is not a compliment in this case). Smokey Jo's doesnt have great beans either, though.

Rice was just white rice, we thought maybe it was going to be dirty rice or cajun rice but didnt ask so not their fault. Rice with BBQ is a strange thing anyway - coleslaw, beans and Corn on the cob are typical.

Price was a little high for the sandwich (if it was just a take out place but Kaleo's charges about same for a burger.) Smokey Jo's has almost same plate for $8 but of course only take out, no dining in! Smile

We skipped the sweet potato fries and asked for coleslaw with sandwich to get the true Southern effect. Coleslaw was bland too. I do like Smokey Jo's spicy coleslaw better and not as chunky.

SB asked why no brisket, or beef ribs on menu and waitress explained that chef wasnt happy with them and is trying to find a new supplier. Again, she was really nice and chatted with us and answered all SB's questions!

Over all our bill was $31.77 inc tax before tip.

A plus: One thing for me was the driveway apron off highway wasnt as hard to navigate as I thought it would be. Smile

Would we go back? The reality is they are just starting out and Probably in a month or two, we'll check it out again! it has potential. (hey we gave Kaleo's numerous tries!)

I probably would not say "OMG! You gotta try this place, it is awesome!" But the reality is we actually for the 1st time since I moved here 24 yrs ago have two 2 Southern BBQ choices in Pahoa with not one item with teriyaki sauce on it! So I wish them luck and if they see this review, hope they understand that my hubby is a stickler for his BBQ.

(hence why we are doing the extreme outdoor kitchen in the fall for full BBQ'ing capabilities. )
I went to Nevaeh's when they first opened. Food was fabulous. I had brisket, pork and ribs. It was all EXCELLENT. Went back about an hour ago... not only did they do away with half the menu items (even the brisket!!) but the food was INEDIBLE! It's really too bad I took it home before I realized this, because I would have given it back. That's how disgusting it was. The pulled pork was not pulled pork. It was big, chopped up pieces of, what looked and tasted like a pork chop ,drizzled with a minuscule amount of BBQ sauce. The ribs were dry, and were clearly not cooked properly. The beans tasted floral... i know... weird. The only thing good was the cornbread. Even my soda was flat! Really disappointed. I spent 20 bucks and didn't eat any of it.

They really need to work out their kinks or they're not going to make it!