Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DUI Checkpoint Blitz - HCPD
The question "where is the incentive to cut costs?" applies to most (if not all) government endeavors.

Assume, for the sake of argument, that DUI roadblocks are self-funding because they're collecting revenue from fines levied against traffic offenders (not just the DUIs, everyone who gets a ticket at the checkpoint).

This doesn't really count the "lost wages/productivity" costs when those offenders have to take (unpaid) time out of their workday for jail, court, etc -- even though those people may absolutely "deserve what they get" for being "DUI in the first place".

Nor does it account for the crimes that occur due to the lack of police response because all available cops are staffing a roadblock.

I am in no way endorsing or defending DUI, but (again) more efficient use of limited resources seems like a better solution... and if "solving the problem" is really the goal, let's have stronger DUI penalties and better public transportation, not more checkpoints.
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

the police get extra taxpayer money for the checkpoints, special overtime, special grants

I don't know why the taxpayer would not want the patrols that serve a double purpose of catching more drunks while also actually having the police available

If the issue is the cost of checkpoints, it seems to me temporary, limited checkpoints with a few officers costs a lot less money than new, extra, fulltime officers on permanent patrol.

If the issue is constitutionality, I believe there are plenty of cases that have been cited on this thread, with links, to show that DUI roadblocks have been found legal and constitutional.

oink has made some very good comments about how police officers work with this issue. I believe he said he is, or has been an officer, and his comments show an understanding and insight that most of us don't have. Whether we agree with his view or not, I think he knows what he is talking about, including the reality as to how police departments deal with the issue of drunk driving.

If the police get overtime to meet and greet drunks on the side of the road at night at a DUI checkpoint, they deserve overtime pay. Most of us would much rather be doing something else, with someone else during our evening hours, after already working the day shift.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

ericlp, Perhaps you can do a little research, get back to us, and tell us where the state draws the line.

Is this your way to tell me you don't think that having roadblocks and checkpoints without due cause is illegal? Personally I don't care where the state draws the line of what it considers "unethical" or "illegal"... But when they start a checkpoint for searching your entire car for roaches in the ashtray... Or Checkpoints to see if you have insurance or whatnot... Insert Excuse here... Or reason ... How far can they go?

Tho If the state started a search for insurance cards or guns/weapons in your car I'd probably be for it as well.

I suppose I am kind of like Obama was. Willing to let laws be broken to save a few lives for wire tapping phones. I guess I am more for it than against it. But I am just cautious because I just don't know what else they will think is OK to do where you once had rights...
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

If the issue is the cost of checkpoints, it seems to me temporary, limited checkpoints with a few officers costs a lot less money than new, extra, fulltime officers on permanent patrol.

If the issue is constitutionality, I believe there are plenty of cases that have been cited on this thread, with links, to show that DUI roadblocks have been found legal and constitutional.

The studies show the exact opposite of what you say, checkpoints cost the taxpayers more and arrest fewer drunks.

As for Constitutionality, I concede that the supreme court ruled it legal even though they admit it is violating Constitutional rights, thereby making it unconstitutional. Basically they said the benefits, which are questionable in reality, outweigh the consequences of it being unconstitutional. Thats not the way our courts are supposed to work and I heavily question this decision and think that Hawaii as a state should rule the other way on this issue as other states have done, especially given the evidence that checkpoints are less effective.

Sorry for beating the dead horse but checkpoints are unconstitutional as admitted by the supreme court and they are less effective then other constitutional means for penalizing those who DUI.

Obviously, I don't think people should break the law and drive drunk, just like I don't think people should text and drive given that it is 4 times more deadly then drunk driving. I hope that people understand I don't support drunk drivers, I am just against violating innocent peoples rights.
The police don't get paid a bundle for risking their necks so im glad they get the OT.When they go off to work and say goodnight to their spouses and kids they could be saying goodbye. While some of the tossers on this thread are sleeping off their 2 glasses of Chardonnay scratching their fat arses in bed at 3:00am, there's a cop somewhere going into a house with some or all of the following present(alcohol, drugs, guns, knives, fists, blood, feces, semen, communicable diseases)providing hope to those with nowhere else to turn.
Would it not be more efficent to have those 5 policemen who are at the checkpoint on overtime anywhy be out patroling and looking for dui. They should cover a lot more ground.Add extra police anyway they using federal money anyway to do this dui crackdown. I hope they catch alot.

jrw
jrw
I sorry to be posting againI should read smitty post. It is not like the police are underpayed the start out at $54,000 a year plus all cans of extra.I think they should get much more they are worth it all but tired of hearing how under pay they are ,ther are some who make $110,000 plus ayear base salary with out the extras

jrw
jrw
My home has walls of cbs
Hard like Puna blue rock, no less
Should I desire to bang my head
I'll use the wall next to my bed
No need to beat upon a horse
Against the wall I'll need less force
But were I on that isle afar
I'd use your head in hope to jar
Some sense into it'd be my hope
Such futile dream makes me the dope
I suppose I'll just shake my head
And finally wander off to bed

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Oinks been on the sauce, lets hope he's not driving!
Not sure I'd agree, Smitty, I thought it was quite eloquent.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/