Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's
Food labels are meant for giving nutritional information. Who do you think should decide what goes on there, sculptors?
Anyway, it was put to the vote and the luddites lost. Better luck next time with your irrational scare campaign.

ETA: moistjames is back to playing his amusing game of post-and-delete (or edit).
My post above was in response to a post in which he suggested that scientists have no business deciding what goes on food information labels.
Naiveté abounds...monsanto writes the legislation that governs the USDA, if/when it desires a patent there will be no barriers to stop them. I suggest you do more research in the rise of the corporate state and policy making. When a business can be "too big to fail" then "reality ain't what it used to be".
"if/when it desires a patent"
Just yesterday you said Monsanto would be acquiring a specific patent (papaya) within the "near future". Now it's "if/when"?

You anti-GM people have to get away from this "But Monsanto..." line of reasoning. It doesn't work.
Monsanto is a publicly listed company owned by regular people and they're subject to the law like anyone else.
The bogeyman does not exist.
Rob Tucker, whats your rational for allowing this troll free play?

Registration Rules and Policies Agreement
Privacy Statement and Forum Rules for Punatalk
If you agree to the terms and conditions stated below, press the "Agree" button. Otherwise, press "Cancel".

In order to use these forums, users are required to provide a username, password and e-mail address. Neither the Administrators of these forums, or the Moderators participating, are responsible for the privacy practices of any user. Remember that all information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to share any of your personal information. All users are required to respect the privacy of all members. A user name is a user name whether it appears to be a real name or not. All users are allowed an equal measure of privacy. Disclosure of another member's private information is a violation of our rules and can result in immediate removal from membership on Punaweb.

Any user who finds material posted by another user objectionable is encouraged to contact us via e-mail. We are authorized by you to remove or modify any data submitted by you to these forums for any reason we feel constitutes a violation of our policies, whether stated, implied or not.

This site may contain links to other web sites and files. We have no control over the content and can not ensure it will not be offensive or objectionable. We will, however, remove links to material that we feel is inappropriate as we become aware of them.

Punaweb's forums are provided as a community service and all topics and posts are required to be about or concerned with life in Hawaii and Puna. Topics posted which depart from this rule may be removed or edited by the moderator(s) without notice.

Trolling is not allowed. We will use the definition of trolling from Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet). An act of trolling will be determined by the moderator(s) and may result in removal from Punaweb membership or other action as deemed appropriate by the moderator(s).

Cookies must be turned on in your browser to participate as a user in these forums. Cookies are used here to hold your username and password and viewing options, allowing you to login.

By pressing the "Agree" button, you agree that you, the user, are 13 years of age or over. You are fully responsible for any information or file supplied by this user. You also agree that you will not post any copyrighted material that is not owned by yourself or the owners of these forums and will abide by the rules stated. In your use of these forums, you agree that you will not post any information which is vulgar, harassing, hateful, threatening, invading of others privacy, sexually oriented, or violates any laws.

If you do agree with the rules and policies stated in this agreement, and meet the criteria stated herein, proceed to press the "Agree" button below, otherwise press "Cancel".

If you have any questions about this privacy statement or the use of these forums, you can contact the forum administrator at: webmaster@punaweb.org
troll 2 (trl) n.
1. A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges.
2. Anyone on the internet who disagrees with rainyjim.
I think everyone can see both the positives and negative to GMO crops being grown, but to me there are more cons than pros. And nothing is positive about testing in a place as geographically unique as Hawaii (except to the testers themselves). There isn't a need to modify any crop in here anyways. My top reason for staying in the Islands, and sacrificing A LOT to do so, is because it's the best place on Earth to grow anything, everything- Even a family. But plants being spliced with animal genes (It's happening, MAYBE not in Hawaii yet, so don't be ignorant) to make them more efficient in ever changing climatic conditions, or entomological and micro-biological threats? Varieties of tomatoes with Arctic fish DNA to prevent frost damage, Oranges with Pig DNA for bacterial resistance- Spinach the same. I can't even guess how many other wild combinations are in the testing phase, or already implemented and consumed, without a single person's knowledge.

People say messing with stem-cells is playing "God," but that's crap. These countries are growing living tissue and saving humans. Nothing that can't be contain and offers way more benefits to the individual AND society. And these countries that do cutting edge stem-cell do very little GMO-if at all. They label imports that are GMO, and or completely abstain from GMO imports at all...But here in the US of Apathy it's just the opposite. My point is, they're on the right side of technology and not America.

Testing done by the corporations themselves, and then approved and legalized by our plutocratic system. This same systems that literally meets a partial definition for Fascism. The sitting head's of the FDA, and EPA use the revolving door from Monsanto to enact standards for them and against the little guy, to benefit only themselves.. Not to mention a sitting Supreme Court Justice who used to be a top Lawyer at Monsanto. How does that ring good to anyone?! Our political system, that has a very corrupt track record (no one specific and it's a whole other thread if not impossibly endless website), backs this, and you still think it's for the best?! How can you trust our govt to do what's best for us when they've never done so in the past. There isn't one thing the govt has done or stuck their fingers in over the last 100 yrs that has benefited people first and foremost, without having some other bottom line.

Most of the world sees the roots of GMO and the developmental problems in human beings, but the US of Apathy does not. Do some more thorough research about the GMO testing, use alternative media. But be skeptical of everything, not this side or that, is all that I ask.

Read about Oregon's Wheat and how no one will buy it because it's cross-pollinated with test fields. It's the same with our Papaya. Yay, the Papayas are saved- Sort of! The Papaya industry is crap because it is GMO and we can't export that crap to our biggest patron(Japan). So what benefit is it again?! There are many things that can be grown in Kapoho and everywhere else in Hawaii that isn't GMO, and even achieve higher and more sustaining rewards than what the Papaya industry is currently worth in socioeconomic measure.

One single cell of pollen can crash any crop by crashing the market for that crop. Again, Hawaii is unique because it is it's own brand, so don't support the side that aims to ruin, control, and mandate that.

I'll leave you with the fact that the world is starving, but not because there isn't enough food but because they don't have the money to pay for it.

GMOs do nothing but make food economically and nutritionally cheaper and have relatively unknown detrimental effects on both human and nature. That is the bottom line.

>>Edit: My two inflated cents and not so humble opinion. <<

Living on the side of creation.
See here the level of discourse of the anti-GM crowd. "But Monsanto..." yet again.
I swear, if one more person tells me I need to do "more research"!
And using "alternative media", no less. Alternative, how? Not fact-based?

I'm especially interested in this research that's happening "all without a single person's knowledge". Have the robots taken over?

Throw in a dash of "Fascism", a twist of "US of apathy". Wait, you forgot to label everyone else as sheep.

"Most of the world sees the roots of GMO and the developmental problems in human beings"
What exactly are you saying here?

What is the benefit of GM papaya? You haven't noticed? Haven't seen those fields?
They're just the #1 offenders. I could've typed (in order) Monsanto, Dupont, Syngenta, Group Limagrain, Bayer Crop, and Trifolium, but it seems too long. Coin an acronym to encompass 85% of the GMO Seed patents and I'll use that.

It's a fact, and those words I use are best suited to our particular political and economic situation. For "A rose by any other name would not smell as sweet," Paul.

What I'm referring to is the effect of GMOs, and the pesticides used on GMOs, have on the human body's endocrine, nervous, digestive, and reproductive systems.

Paul, care to consider the fact that reef is dying around Hawaii and Big Isle is seemingly the last oasis, or maybe how the EPA recently raised levels for pesticides in the environment? Hello Run-off.