Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's
good read on early gmo adopters .... seems pesticide use increase and so do cancer rates:

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections...eport.html

Sigh.

Monsanto says everything is perfectly safe.

Only an anti-science wingnut would insist that spraying poison on our food crops is a bad idea.

I trust the government because they are here to help.
Wow, this was very informative. Thank you for posting factual info. The rebound here, or should we say the SAVING of the papaya industry should be looked at closer by the near by communities. There is hundreds if not thousands of acres being fumigated and sprayed with pesticides here in lower puna weekly. Are the wind breaks sufficient for everyone? Are there no houses or communities within 2 miles of these sprays? Does the spraying (by who?) not get done when we have variable winds? Can there be tests here on our land, water, soil? Maybe done by the state to justify there case that it is SaFe to spray so much, so close to communities? Just a few of my concerns beyond the fish kills in Kapoho, or the dying Ohia here in lower Puna.
The only "factual info" in this discussion is that the anti-GMO position does not have a scientific leg to stand on. Period. There is no credible evidence that consuming GMO foods has harmful effects. This position is supported by hundreds of scientific studies and regulatory oversight, a large body of evidence-based work that does not exist on the anti-GMO side.

The constant conflation of Monsanto, pesticides, herbicides, organic gardening preferences, and on and on, with genetic engineering has nothing to do with whether GMO food is safe.

And it seems that this constant conflation and associated fear-mongering has led to nothing other than confusion in the minds of the county council. That this confusion on their part, through their legislation, will likely lead to actual harm to agriculture on the Big Island seems to matter not at all to them.
Then I suffice to think and feel it would be good to ban everything for a moment and figure out a clear line in the application of GMOs in Hawaii. There ARE positives, and there ARE negatives. Weigh 'em out with out bias for public good.

In regards to Bananas.. If they did just vanish, isn't there something else another crop that could be just as valuable and will thrive in our environments with out GMO at all? Just wondering.

Living on the side of creation.
Starvation has been man's companion throughout human history with occasional respites as new advances are made. That wouldn't be true if you could lose a crop with as much worldwide importance as bananas and just keep on truckin'.
quote:
Originally posted by peteadams

The only "factual info" in this discussion is that the anti-GMO position does not have a scientific leg to stand on. Period. There is no credible evidence that consuming GMO foods has harmful effects. This position is supported by hundreds of scientific studies and regulatory oversight, a large body of evidence-based work that does not exist on the anti-GMO side.

The constant conflation of Monsanto, pesticides, herbicides, organic gardening preferences, and on and on, with genetic engineering has nothing to do with whether GMO food is safe.

And it seems that this constant conflation and associated fear-mongering has led to nothing other than confusion in the minds of the county council. That this confusion on their part, through their legislation, will likely lead to actual harm to agriculture on the Big Island seems to matter not at all to them.

Completely agree, peteadams. Well said. There is a balance somewhere, finding it is the challenge; sans the politics.

We seem, especially in Puna, to ride the wave of the "norm" abroad (Continental USofA), no matter the "fracking" subject. (pun intended).

There is a movement that cannot be ignored on several subjects that apply to our Puna, on a broad based level. As long as facts are the deciding factor, and not the standard "fear mongering", we will reap the benefits. All opinions are of value, however, some are not factual, nor productive to this particular argument, nor others at the forefront these days.

Politics is playing a terrible game on the local County Council level, which may hurt the very people they all represent. Auwe na ho'i e. Sad state of affairs yet again. Is there no middle ground on this? (Rhetoric). JMO.

ETA: Puna Ku'u Aloha E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLM-q7U8C4Q

Or, None shall sleep[Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTBml4oOZ8

Just want to say how impressed I am with Opihikao's post. I couldn't agree more with what was said. And thanks for the youtube links. Two cultures that should work together, and they both boast the most beautiful music. Thank you!

If you don't mind me adding one more, this is a video I watch when feeling a little down. It's aimed at everyone no matter what their beliefs are or where they come from and I hope that you, Opihikao, will enjoy it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dPDO3Tfab0
Saffron would grow good in parts of Hawaii. We aren't aren't growing bananas to actually live and eat on, Most people are growing cash crops-as a means of obtaining currency for whatever else people will buy- and Big island does host just about every climate on this PLANeT.

OK, Aaron, whatever. Growing saffron is not going to keep local farmers in work, nor is it going to feed anyone, but will admit I just gave up following the rest of your logic. Sorry. The "on this PLANeT" stuff just made me want to go somewhere else for awhile, maybe the planet you're on.