Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's
Yeah, Tomk, because if this man's banana patch goes under people are going to starve. If not Big Island, certainly somewhere in this beautiful world. Whatever yourself. You think kids in Africa are starving because there is a lack of food? It's because they lack the money to get food.

So again, are people going to starve?
No, this man will just be out of his cash-crop. I'm pretty sure he isn't eating bananas for every meal. No,he's using it to obtain currency that other people also use to transact with so he can purchase the thing's he needs to live. Besides, if GMOs were banned to that extent- and I don't even agree that it should-HE could grow a different kind of banana (OR does this disease effect all of the varieties in Hawaii?). There are OTHER crops, some even still foreign to the Big Island that would grow perfectly (if not better) in anyone of the 10/14 world climates that this island hosts. It could produce even more capital- but you have to be creative, and as you've pointed out Bananas are an industry.. So why not try your hand at something else in a seemingly and relatively saturated market?

Hawaii is it's own brand, quite literally. That should be part of the concern in this bill as well. I know people selling clay and making 100s of k, strictly because it's from Hawaii. It was the same way with our Papaya. So instead of letting the industry die, we let the industry survive in a relative poverty.

There are different layers to the facts. Are they safe? Sure, I bet the ones messing with relative genes in plants to escape extinction have little to zero harm. But they're not safe for the local economy. If a country won't import our goods and it isn't worth as much then it loses at least half purpose of producing it. LOOK at the price of Papayas and industry today. Who used to buy our papayas and what price vs. who buys them now and for how much?

And yes, I find it amazing (in my knowledge, experience, and love of agriculture) that the words "Plant" and "Planet" have common ROOTS in Latin.

Keeping walking buddy.

Living on the side of creation.
Living on the side of creation.
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron

There are different layers to the facts. Are they safe? Sure, I bet the ones messing with relative genes in plants to escape extinction have little to zero harm. But they're not safe for the local economy. If a country won't import our goods and it isn't worth as much then it loses at least half purpose of producing it.

Aaron, you couldn't be more right on the above: especially the part about there being different layers to facts. WHY are other countries not importing GMO papayas and other GMO crops? Because of misrepresentation, distortion, and fear mongering against those crops by a tiny minority of ideologues. GMO crops have been subject to more testing and research than any crop on the market - there is an ocean of data that shows that GMO crops that make it to market pose no more health risk than conventionally bred crops - and less risk than "organic" crops that have accumulated quite a body count in recent years - I am thinking hepatitis, listeria, salmonella and so on. But, because a small minority of true believers feel entitled to mislead anyone who will accept their nonsense, perfectly fine products - and technologies - are vilified and villainized. Even more to the point, those same ideologues want to deprive Hawaii of access to those technologies that will keep Hawaii agriculture viable when faced with new pests and new diseases.

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron

You think kids in Africa are starving because there is a lack of food? It's because they lack the money to get food.

The primary reason Africans are starving is because they don't have access to the capital or the technology to produce and distribute food crops as efficiently as we do in the developed world. In no small measure that is the result of dysfunctional governments who feel entitled to operate in arbitrary and self-serving ways - a path our County Council seems to be heading down today.
geochem, spot on. Thank you.

Aaron, The tone of this subject is already a "dog fight". When sharing our opinions, could we attempt to keep civil discourse as a common goal? Both sides of this GMO issue have some valid points, and it will continue until the end of time. We all would fare well to watch the video TomK has shared, thank you TomK. It's not so much what we say, but how we say it. Us Hawaiians are like bananas; we bruise easy. [Smile]

FYI, our ohana (who have been here for generations in Puna) was severely affected by the papaya ringspot virus. It almost wiped out the industry as we all know. We could not afford our property taxes any longer without farmers to lease our land. Subsequently, we had several developers that wanted to purchase our land and change the zoning to residential from AG "because all you can grow down here is papaya and orchids". This is our reality. We stand firmly behind our farmers, will not sell, and will continue to support AG use of all varieties. Not everything is about money, but we need it in the western world to survive (ie. paying property taxes, living expenses, etc.).

A good example: After extensive research, years of debates, and finally, factual scientific findings, Japan has lifted the ban on Hawaii GMO papaya, and our papaya industry gains a big customer back. Good news for our local economy as a whole.

As to Mr. Ha and his "banana patch", his tenure as a farmer and business person for decades gives credence to his position. We may not agree with everything stated in an opinion, however, experience does carry weight. My respect for Mr. Ha and his contribution to this community far outweighs this one GMO issue.

Again, where is the balance? JMO.
Wow, well said from a different perspective or side. Thank you for both of your opinions (TomK & Opihikao). We have a slightly different opinion ourselves now because of this topic. Thanks.
https://soundcloud.com/hifarmersunited
Listen to the link above. This grass roots organization of farmers produce 90% of the food calories produced on this island. Bananas are one of the top three fruit consumed in the nation. The Hawaii Papaya Industry Association as well as the Big Island Banana Growers Association is a part of this group. If we did not have papayas and bananas which by the way are the cheapest fruits in the markets, What fruit would we be eating?
Richard - I truly hope that the nonsense going on in the county council right now doesn't end up hurting you and other farmers. You're a massive part of the island's community and it would be a tragedy if you're affected. Let's hope common sense prevails.
The State Attorney General's office was asked if the GMO prohibition the county council is putting forward was legal. Their response was essentially "no comment." My suggestion for the emminently sensible Mr. Ha and the other hard-working farmers is to sue the county for over-reaching its constitutional authority. Of course, this might not be necessary since there will likely be no workable enforcement entity or process, but it would be useful to put all the nonsense in proportion.
Not sure if Chunkster's idea is feasible or not, but I would be more than happy to contribute a little towards legal costs if it comes to this. It wouldn't be much but I would hate to see people like Richard and other farmers put out of business because of county council stupidity and ignorance.
So now the tin hat scare mongers are claiming that banning GMO will put farmers out of business. That's like saying that banning nuclear power will break the power companies; Or that banning Thalidomide will undermine Big Pharma. Hows that working?

And exactly how much food is produced here for our residents? Most Big Island Agriculture is of the export variety, and we import the bulk of our food. It seems to me that banning GMO will actually stimulate local farming(just not the corporate mono cropping variety)

Mr. Ha has already disclosed that his bananas are not GMO, so how would a ban effect him?

check out this:

http://gmosummit.org