Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's
James, this is a public forum so you'll have to put up with everyone's opinion, not just those who you consider to be credible.

There are many reasons for people not to use their full name. Some people think disagreement = attack and threaten violence or, even worse, legal action.
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

I feel qualified to make such comparisons. I was involved in Agent Orange spray operations in the past and feel strongly about Corporations that tout products as "Safe", without realizing the long term effects.

I know you and many others feel strongly about GMOs. However, I think it's safe for me to say that those of us who take the evidence and science based view of GMO safety really don't care what Monsanto and other corporations claim and tout. It's all about a much larger body of work that has been developing around GMOs for about 20 years now, recently summarized in a paper that's been linked here earlier, but here it is again:

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/201...afety.html

There really is no credible evidence that GMO technology has harmful effects in our food supply. Getting the GMO concept mixed up with other issues of corporate behavior, agricultural chemical practices, personal gardening preferences, etc. obscures this basic fact.
How does Monsanto's "Agent Orange" relate to today's GMO debate?

Let's see; Monsanto developed a product, lied to US Servicemen about it's safety, caused cancer and early death to not only thousands of veterans, but their offspring, made billions of dollars, and escaped any accountability at all.

Now all the US regulatory agencies are heavily infested with former Monsanto executives and lobbyists, and they are assuring us that their new technology is safe. Have they fundamentally changed their business plan?

Frankly, the company lacks credibility with me.

Putting aside the "food safety" aspect of the issue; Is Monsanto the altruistic godsend dedicated to ending world hunger? Or possibly, are they interested on the patents they receive concerning GMO, and cloning technology for future monopolization of not only food, but organ manufacture. They seem to be extraordinarily interested in protecting their technology for such a benevolent company.

I'm not a paranoid type person, but know firsthand the lack of ethics that Monsanto holds when weighing profits over morals.

I'm working to keep them away from Hawaii.

Thought this was interesting. "In search of Frankencorn in Hawaii" http://reason.com/archives/2013/10/25/in...-in-hawaii

The reason the seed companies are not here on the Big Island is because "lose money". There isn't flat lands, deep soil, full sunshine with irrigation. Industrial scale tractors make money on the straight away and lose money on the turns.

In our headlong panic to pass bill 113, we are willing to throw our farmers under the bus. These are farmers who provide 90% or more of the food calories produced on the Big Island.

We need all food producers to feed us all. But, criminalizing farmers when they try to use new biotech solutions is the height of silliness.

GM is a technology. Monsanto is a company. Two very different things.
If you don't like United Airlines, would you ban everyone from flying?
Of interest, Kauai update - GMO Bill:

(*Snipped - More at link):

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/break...=229764761

Kauai's Mayor In No Rush to Sign GMO bill

LIHUE ยป Kauai's mayor is waiting until the last minute to decide whether to sign a bill regulating the use of pesticides and genetically modified crops by large agricultural businesses.

Mayor Bernard Carvalho Jr. has a Thursday deadline.

County spokeswoman Beth Tokioka told The Garden Island the mayor will announce his decision in a press release on Wednesday or Thursday.

Tokioka said the mayor has been meeting and talking with the county attorney and staff to understand legal issues associated with the bill and the options in front of him.

The Kauai County Council passed the bill by a 6-1 vote about two weeks ago.

The legislation would require Kauai's largest agricultural companies -- DuPont Pioneer, Syngenta, Dow AgroSciences, BASF and Kauai Coffee -- to disclose the presence and use of pesticides and genetically modified crops.

It would also establish pesticide-free buffer zones around schools, hospitals, homes and other areas and require the county to conduct a study on the health and environmental impacts of the industry.
to PaulW: To be blunt, you talk too much. Belaboring the point is tedious, often immature and ultimately weakens your argument. In Hawaiian culture one learns by listening. Hard to learn anything when your mouth never stops. Aloha, fellow Hawaiian
to PeterE: thanks for the advice! "Aloha"
You can see PaulW's mouth from there? Where can I get some of what you're smoking?