Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's
Richard,
Since you always say the same things over and over, regardless of what new information is offered to you, I have come to a realization.
I prefer banging my head against the wall to talking to you. The wall is much more responsive and honestly communicative, and it never twists people's words into the opposite of their stated opinion.

Russell
Russell
Amen.
Russell, I would advise placing a "Rubbah Slippah" against the wall before banging your head.
[Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

Russell, I would advise placing a "Rubbah Slippah" against the wall before banging your head.
[Big Grin]

nice.
[Big Grin]
Can't believe this is Ruderman. Too flippant, makes it personal, not to mention, comments unbecoming of an elected official (not just here on this site, but elsewhere). The man I met was far more reasonable, willing to listen, almost "deer in the headlights/politician-like" in demeanor. Extremely pleasant and seemed sincere. JMO.

For the record, Mr. Ruderman does not represent all of Puna. He is focused, and apparently, not willing to take scientific opinion into consideration before spending taxpayer dollars on all of this, and other matters. (Speaking only for myself, and the small influence I may have over my ohana when issues arise.)

"Russell", (IF indeed it is you or your minion) can you find middle ground for the people in Puna you represent? Is there somehow an answer to this GMO crap that can satisfy your constituents, including our farmers? Is there no room for discussion anymore, or is it just over? Done?

You're reduced to slamming you head against a wall? Well, Sir, we will take that into consideration when the voting public reviews your work. It's almost as bad as Faye Hanohano's "get that *&%^$#) artwork out of my office" (not verbatim, but y'all get the gist).

Disappointed, to say the least, in all of this deteriorating dissertation.

(Slamming my head against the wall with my rubber slippers still on the bloody front porch along with several other pairs.) JMO.
Sen Ruderman. You don't answer my questions then you say I repeat myself over and over. Then because you beat your head against the wall, you will stop communicating with me. I have been a full time farmer for more than 30 years, producing more than 100 million pounds of fruits and vegetables. I know first hand that farmers have a hard time making ends meet. In addition, I was the only person from Hawaii who attended five peak oil conferences on the mainland. It is clear to me that energy and Ag are tied together inextricably. It's all about costs of inputs. As long as more comes in than goes out you can keep on doing what you are doing.

You were in favor of the GMO bill at the last council hearing saying, that it was simply about corporations. But, farmers who produce more than 90% of the food grown on the Big Island disagree with you. Why is it ok to throw the farmers under the bus as you go about trying to save the world?

Why are you against geothermal at all cost? It is half the cost of oil and its cost will be stable for 500,000 years. The Puna district has the lowest median family income on the Big Island and its students have the highest participation in the free/reduced lunch program in the state.

Bill 113, the anti GMO bill, only applies to Big Island farmers. It threatens the competitiveness of Big Island farmers. Show us how this is good for us.

You say, Darwin would be pissed at me. Just the opposite. His ideas were formed when he was in his early twenties. He did not publish his book until nearly thirty years later. That is why this phrase was attributed to him; its not the strongest nor the smartest that survive, its the ones that can adapt to change. Bill 113 does not allow Big Island farmers to adapt to change. Organic agriculture rules are also very rigid. It discourages change too.

It's always about what degree of risk is acceptable. I think the risk of depending on oil a finite resource is much more dangerous than relying on GMO foods. Please show me where I'm wrong. I'm very willing to change my point of view.
Richard says the same things over and over because they are accurate and substantiated. Very different on the anti-GMO side.
I find Richard Ha to be experienced, researched and articulate. Rare in Puna.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
After a quick vote to add a needed supporter to the Kaua'i Council today, they were able to pass an override to the Mayor's veto on their bill today.

Furthermore, the anti-GMO activists are trumpeting a "big win over Monsanto," when in fact Monsanto is not even one of the companies involved on Kaua'i. But the activists don't seem to pay much attention to facts.

I think the mayor was correct in his veto on legal grounds, and I predict the law will now wind up in court.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

I find Richard Ha to be experienced, researched and articulate. Rare in Puna.

Russell Ruderman's paranoid rants are more typical.

"As part of the effort to regulate GMOs, I know that all my colleagues support farmers. An indivdual farmer is an absurdly inappropriate target for GMO activists. Please stop slandering our efforts to regulate genetically mutilated organisms."

http://farmers4choice.files.wordpress.co...230653.jpg

He actually thinks Monsanto is paying politicians to vote
in their favor and has stated that the entire US congress is on the take.