Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed limits on Hwy 130
If my observations are indicative of a good sample of traffic flow, very few people are doing less or equal than the posted speed limits, not matter what everyone here is saying.

I want to ask as an exercise that every one of you do the equal or less than the posted speed limit when the front of your vehicle passes the sign, until the rear of your vehicle passes another posted speed zone sign on Hwy 130. You can not speed up as you see the 45 mph hr sign.

I did this last week. It is interesting.

Drove in today and from Shower drive to Humane Society I slowed down to 45-50 in the 35 zone. Everyone behind me switched lanes to pass me, and the speed limit is 45 max anyway where it is 2 lanes in the morning (when not under construction). When I used to do this daily. 55-60 was the flow speed despite the posted 45. No work on either side at 7am. It felt very unsafe going under 50. I can't imagine actually going 35. It would have caused an accident. But since I don't need another ticket, I'm hoping going 10 under the flow of traffic and having everyone else pass me will make me less of a target. Though when I see someone else doing this I just assume they are drunk, stoned, and/or mentally ill. In most cases. I do now leave early and assume a trip to Hilo at non-commute times is 60 minutes rather than the 40 it was 6 years ago
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's a much quicker commute if you travel during the rush hour (I think 7am counts as that!). I drove in today around 09:30 and it was much slower including having to stop a few times, but much better than I've experienced in the past. Probably more people taking some vacation and less traffic overall. There was road work going on and one thing I have to say is that the work on Hwy 130 does seem to have a higher priority than other projects I've seen. The recent extensive work on Hwy 11 between Keaau and Hilo only seemed to have work going on two or three days a week; this seems to be a much higher intensity. That's a little encouraging to me.
quote:
I want to ask as an exercise that every one of you do the equal or less than the posted speed limit when the front of your vehicle passes the sign, until the rear of your vehicle passes another posted speed zone sign on Hwy 130. You can not speed up as you see the 45 mph hr sign.

I did this last week. It is interesting.
cat - what was interesting about it? I'm confused about your comment. Why would you want to speed up? You said there was a 45mph limit so did you speed up for that or slow down? Did you drive the posted speed limit?

You asked for an exercise, but you won't get much feedback from that post. It'd be good if you could be a little clearer about what you want because I haven't a clue.
Tom, I thought it was clear but I will try again to explain.

The law states that as you go from lower speed (like 35) to higher speed (for example 45) you car cant not be doing higher than 35 until the front end of your car passes the 45 sign (my example).

Conversely if you go from 45 to 35 (or any higher to lower) your car must be doing the lower speed by the time it clears the sign.

So on Hwy 130 - try following the speed limits or Lower with this rule in mind from the MUTCD. Just try it one time from Keaau all the way to Pahoa stoplight.

Many people speed up as soon as they see the higher speed limit sign and if your eyesite is good that could be quite aways before the sign.

I am not saying in this exercise that the posted speeds are right or wrong - it is just interesting.

And again from my trip to Keaau yesterday, not many people are actually following the speed. Although my speed got a nice one finger wave from middle-aged lady in a white toyota or honda station wagon.

So if you are behind a woman in a car going the speed limit, how about a wave with all the fingers not just one?

**Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) this is a fed doc that the state is supposed to be using for all state highways.
Thank you, Cat, that made things clearer to me. I was concerned that there was a belief the speed limit was the speed someone was expected to drive rather than the actual limit. My understanding is that when the speed limit drops there should be a sign saying reduced speed (ahead) which I think there is on 130, but not necessarily one for when the speed limit increases. I suspect I was just not understanding your argument, so sorry about that and don't have the energy to research this more right now.

I can also assure you that if you see someone give you the finger on the highway, it won't be from me. I might utter something under my breath when I see a stupid driver, but have yet to demonstrate my frustration with sign language. I'm comfortable with lower speeds, just wish some others were as well.
quote:
Originally posted by Russell

If anyone here thinks that politicians set speed limits, I have a nice bridge I'd like to sell you. The DOT makes multi-decade plans while watching us politicians come & go on a bi-yearly basis.

Russell

Russell - I believe you played a major roll in setting of the speed limit at 45mph on Hwy 130 by requesting this change in your letter dated 1/22/13 to HDOT. In HDOT's "SPEED LIMIT EVALUATION OF KEA'AU PAHOA ROAD BETWEEN SHOWER DRIVE AND MAKU'U DRIVE", the PROBLEM statement states "Request was made by Senator Russell E. Ruderman (letter dated 1/22/13) to reduce the speed limit on Kea'au Pahoa Road (Highway 130) between Shower Drive / Pohaku Drive and Maku'u Drive" This recommendation was approved by Glenn Okimoto, Director of Transportation on 3/21/13. So basically it was you who set the speed limit. Oh, where is the bridge you want to sell and for how much? Your comment that politicians come and GO bi-yearly, is this to say that you will only be in office for 2 years?
kjlpahoa - I can't tell if you're asking me a question. You seem to be wanting to blame me for something but what, exactly? If the crime is being an elected official trying to improve my neighborhood, then guilty as charged. As for your accusation of being a 'typical politician' please find me one other politician who agrees with that.

As I stated earlier, I requested the lowering of speed limit along HPP stretch to 45. DOT reviewed request and agreed. While other improvements to the state's most dangerous road will occur over the next decade, this was one safety improvement that could happen immediately, with zero cost. What is your objection?
Do you prefer the standard kind of politician who keeps his/her head down and does nothing? If so there are plenty to choose from.
The construction zone speed limit has nothing to do with me, but I'm glad it's happening.
Yes, politicians come and go, while DOT remains. How could a politician possibly be in charge of speed limits? Which one would decide, when there are several representing each area? Would we change all the speed limits every election? Whether I remain in office longer than that is up to the voters, if I choose to run again.

Since you still believe that politicians set speed limits, I'm happy you're also interested in buying a bridge from me. I have several to choose from in Hilo and a very nice famous reddish one in San Francisco, price negotiable. Let's talk!

Happy New Year, All!

Russell
Russell
Russell -
Depending on asking price I might be interested in your reddish bridge that's off island, but have one quick question.
Does it come with, or without the toll booths on either end? (I might need the income to make the financing work)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
The construction zone speed limit has nothing to do with me, but I'm glad it's happening.

Missed opportunity: speed limit should have been lowered during construction, two years later nobody would remember that it used to be higher.