Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threat of Axis Deer on the Big Island
All I know is they sound delicious.
quote:
Originally posted by Oneself

All I know is they sound delicious.

Enjoy - http://www.venisonsteaks.com/Shipping_ep_37-1.html

Just remember not to throw it out into the forest after getting it.. we don't need to foster and promote a large feral dog population.

- Armed citizens provide security of a free State.
Bottom line is one persons threat is another's opportunity or meal.... depends on who's driving ---- hows the bag ban going - have we moved to freezers in their absence?

Aloha Carol,

No, of course I don't believe we should risk our ability to produce food on this island now or in the future. No, they don't need another source of meat to survive...I believe as others have pointed out that it must be cheaper to go to the grocery and buy some meat than it is to have all the gear, equipment, dogs, guns, ammo, etc. I don't think you might be wrong, Lanai seems enough proof for me...Crete as well which I've actually visited unlike Lanai. There is no no me or you being right or wrong to me, I never created that paradigm, you did. I'm fine without the deer if it would devastate the ecosystem. Lets remember who it was who brought these deer to hawaii in the first place...and try and not place all the blame on "a couple of guys with a helicopter"

aloha mai kakou
?
Hunting guides are making very big money to take tourists up Mauna Loa to kill an axis deer or mouflan sheep. The feds have sued Hawaii nine times to erect a fence around the Palila's territory. As a result of the hunter's greed, the Palilla will be extinct in about two years.
The damage from deer on the mainland is huge. They are out of control even in suburban areas. There is no upside to having sheep and deer on the Big Island. There's nothing that will change the landscape faster or with more destruction (besides the obvious).
If you absolutely need their meat, raise them yourself. The only reason to have them wild is for hunting
we do not grow food crops on range land by definition.... speaking of truth and spin

Hawaii is a hunting culture as well - why deny our island culture?

extinction by hunters: thats the goal right - we agree - just need a few more deer to keep it balanced - grin

Kansas - now thats an agricultural state - nice and flat
Wait, are you saying people have BROUGHT them to the island to hunt them ?
No, they flew in by themselves!
they actually came in on that little d.e.a. sponsored yellow copter bell 500 looking thingy - true story