Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sen Ruderman, where is the proof
Perhaps one of the Gm food proponents would like to explain to us how not labeling GM food products is an ethical practice and not liken to flooding the natural diamond market with man made diamonds? Why on earth would natural crop farmers feel the need to call for GM labeling just as natural diamond suppliers would demand the same of man made diamond suppliers? Perhaps the pro GM food crowd would like explain to us why natural crop farmers and supporters don't have a valid argument for GM food labels from a basic marketing ethics position? I'd really like to know how one can justify such an unethical position on the matter. Explain to us how you read the ethics compass, do you always orient it the same way or do you sometimes consider the points to have different meaning when they suite your fancy another way?
As per the safety of GM foods... not even WebMD will offer an answer to that question but instead leaves it to the common sense of the reader. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/featur...afe-to-eat

If I wanted your opinion, I'd frame it for you!

Several years ago, I suggested to Kumu Lehua Veincent, who was then Principal of Keaukaha Elementary, that if the Thirty Meter Telescope wanted to come to the Big Island, why don't we ask for a full ride scholarship to the best schools in the nation for a few of his kids. He thought about it for awhile, then he looked up and asked me; "what about the rest?" My ears got red. Of course he was right. Since then, I always ask myself that simple question. Last week when the county council heard a bill to give organic farmers a favorable property tax break that was better than all the conventional farmers, I submitted testimony in favor. The Hawaii Farmers and Ranchers United, the grass roots farmer and rancher group testified in favor. As farmers, we all know that organic farmers costs are very high. Hector Valenzuela suggests that organic farmers seek high end niche markets. But, not everyone can afford it. What about the rest? We need to support all farmers, so we can achieve food self sufficiency.
I commend your efforts.

However, I am curious as to the relevance of the original anecdote regarding the TMT. Does that have something to do with the organic farmers legislation you submitted testimony for? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here.

Aloha mai kakou
Richard,
Just a couple questions. How many different methods exist in the farming industry today? What are their averaged individual yield costs per acre? I only ask because you probably know where such resource information can be found.
IMO... because I see such tax incentives often abused by large luxury home owners. So farmers that actually produce a crop of X yield per X acre should be afforded a 0 dollar property tax on the production land if they submit a proof of yield yearly... no tax bailout on the home. This keeps the person with the 20 acre estate home who grows only 1 token acre of x - no free ride on the rest of the property beyond the one acre of x. The property tax reduction is all to often abused as is, simply having a token cow gives a tax reduction as it is now (the proverbial "cash cow").

Aloha Haaheo;
Take a look at Jeff Melrose's snapshot of Big Island Ag. It puts things in perspective.
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17738&whichpage=18.
Regarding the abuse of the system. You are right and I hear that the county will be cracking down on gentlemen farming. During the budget crunch of 2008, the crop reporting section at the dept of ag was gutted. Crop statistics is very important. hopefully we can restore the essential parts of that department. Mahalo for the questions.

Aloha Rainy Jim. I just wanted to illustrate what motivates me. It's the question, "what about the rest?" That question resonates with me, when I look at my workers. And, it ripples out from there. It's very straight forward. Thanks for asking.
Thanks Richard,
I'd assume your referencing along the lines of this link - http://www.epscor.hawaii.edu/content/foo...line-study

Aloha Haaheo
Yes, exactly!
I've got one question and one question only. If GMO's are okay, why all the brouhaha about labeling if GMO's are in ingredients of a product? The pro GMO crowd seems hell bent on keeping labeling out . If it's so safe why not?

Breaking News:
http://www.vtrighttoknowgmos.org

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Well Beachboy, for the umpteenth time, what if a religious group decided that any crop harvested on the Sabbath would invoke the wrath of God and therefore all such produce should be labelled as such so that we have a "right to choose". Would you be in favor of putting that on the label too?

We have to draw a line somewhere and that line is whether is something is *proven* to be harmful.

Nobody has ever been able to give me the name of even one person killed by consuming GM food.
Our papayas are GM, how come we don't all have tumors from consuming them?