Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
permit fairness
No one can look at that building and think it is anything but an industrial warehouse

Not true: it was inspected by County employees -- so, corruption and/or ineptitude.
The county is basically saying...

Favorite quote from the article:

"it’s not the county’s purview to tell people what kind of a residence they can live in."
--Planning Program Manager Daryn Arai
quote:
Originally posted by HiloPuna

Some comments:
Each RS zoned lot has to have a separate application for Change of zone though.

think that meets the definition of spot zoning

Also they changed the use from residential to mixed use. Which should require a permit, a fire inspection and a 2 hour fire separation between uses. If there sticking to the IBC
Which should require a permit, a fire inspection...

I believe "mixed use" means "residential occupation of a commercial building", not the other way around, especially as this operation exceeds the limits set forth for a "home occupation".

Had the property been rezoned first, its final would have required infrastructure (note the bits of sidewalk in front of nearby new construction), and it would be valued/taxed at rates appropriate to a commercial building.
Funny thing is this guy is trying to rezone his property from residential to commercial but base yards aren't allowed in commercial. Only allowed in industrial zoning. So even if County Council approves his rezone he still can't use property for a his crap truck base yard.

Sheila Bang
Sheila Bang
base yards aren't allowed in commercial. Only allowed in industrial zoning.

...and Residential uses are allowed in Commercial, but not Industrial.

In other words, there is no zoning that allows this mixture of uses -- so the permits should never have been issued in the first place, unless the applicant "misrepresented" the project on their permit application and/or the responsible County official approved it without asking any questions.

Again, it's all perfectly fine as long as everyone else gets the same consideration.
If it's same same for everybody I'm fine with that. I've always wanted to open a little deli in HPP
Like what they call a "Soda" in Costa Rica
all this angst over a permitted building in Hilo coming from a district that I would guess is home to five times the proportion of unpermitted, non-code structures than any other district in the state.
gimme a break...
all this angst over a permitted building in Hilo

Not the building itself so much as the abuse-of-process issues.

Example: there used to be an art gallery in Hawaiian Acres. It lasted about 10 years until some neighbor complained; owner tore it down rather than work through compliance issues with County (including ADA-compliant restrooms and a Special Use permit).

The "sewage truck baseyard" in Hilo is basically getting a free pass -- which is fine, as long as everyone else gets one too.
The county lost my respect when the Planning Director, Bobbie Jean L-T, gave the new Pahoa Long's all green lights despite expired permits and at the same time loaded a local family with unparallelled, insane requirements at Orchidland Dr., killing their dream. How the county planning department works became abundantly clear at that moment.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator