Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Scenarios, Preparedness
Too bad Hawaii doesn't allow the most vulnerable lava zones to have mobile homes. I know they are not the most popular with some folks but it sure would be easier and more cost effective to move your home when threatened by a lava flow rather than let it burn.

Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

IMO the gov't right now, should be designating some temporary land that people can move their houses to while they wait for the lava flow to resolve. Then they can move the houses back after they re-bulldoze the roads, after it's cooled off. I know this sound simplistic, but is it possible at all?

One of my stupid questions would have been "Has anyone considered an elevated highway level over 130?" I don't know how high the columns should be or how long the columns would survive the heat of a lava flow, but it might provide more time to evacuate and might even survive as a future road. I know it's probably too late to consider it now but......hey, one direction for the lower level and the opposite direction for the upper level! No more bottleneck at Keaau high school!

Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by Hawaii Bound

I went to tonight's meeting. They had some interesting information and of course there were some really, really, really stupid questions but some good ones as well.

Honestly, if it appears that it will cross 130, I think I will either purchase a used boat or go finance a new one. Gives me a way in and out. That is something I have seriously considered and would probably take that path if it was going to cross 130 and not head into my subdivision. About the only way I would evacuate is if it was heading into my subdivision or road access to get to the ocean was completely cut off.

A lot of people are putting the cart way before the horse. The flow has to go through this upper Pahoa development, then through Pahoa village then get to the highway before crossing that. That is like the CD meeting Monday. Here is the county, CD, USGS, PGV, HELCO, visiting Puna to review the possibility of an encroaching lava flow possibly threatening outer Pahoa, then the wild bunch goes all off kilter on PGV, demanding shut down plans, blah, blah, blah. And people wonder why Puna never gets anything nice. The issue was the growing possibility that a flow was going to reach populated areas and start threatening homes. There isn't going to be any big evacuation unless the eruption got really violent. It's like Royal Gardens, there will just be instructions to stay out of the way of the flow. It's probably up to the individual home owner to decide if they want to try to move belongings out. Even if it is 300 feet per day, it is pretty slow motion.

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by msky

"Has anyone considered an elevated highway level over 130?"

If I remember correctly, it took over four years to build the bridge over the Wailoa River. With the unpredictability of lava you would probably want one wider than that.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
My Hovercraft will traverse the lava easily.
snorkle -
If you ran a Hover-Taxi service, you could really make some money. As long as you can crank the AC up to 11.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

Is it too late to buy lava insurance?

quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

quote:
Originally posted by msky

"Has anyone considered an elevated highway level over 130?"

If I remember correctly, it took over four years to build the bridge over the Wailoa River. With the unpredictability of lava you would probably want one wider than that.

it took 4 or 5 years to fix the little bridge near Pa'auillo after the '06 quake, and it was only going over a shallow gully.

Amazing what can be done by public works crews that know how. In the Bay Area, there was some sort of accident near the elevated MacArthur interchange that took out one direction of the freeway, massive destruction, and Cal Trans had it open in like three days. Where there's a will and a crew that can, a lot can be done. Just not in Hawai'i. (I've been here long enough to where I don't even consider they would attempt something ambitious and innovative.)

More likely the mule and donkey services would make a comeback.

Seriously, they would never let people drive over actively flowing lava, even if the columns would handle it. And you know lava is prone to sudden explosive events. It's not like you could be sure it wouldn't send some aerial action your way.
KathyH,
It was not 3 days but more like 3 or 4 months on a no bid contract. They did get it open however. Gas tanker blew up the overpass.
quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

Lava diversion just isn't going to happen. Too many liability and cultural concerns.

When the The Coconut Rhinoceros Beetle was recently discovered on Oahu, the state pulled out all the stops. Even flew in the experts from Guam who let the beetle destroy all the palms on that island. (Imagine that conversation.... "What should we do?" "Dunno, but don't do what we did, and do something that we didn't.")

That all being said, Iceland has successfully diverted lava flows many times. One time it required the help of the US Navy.

If the lava was on Oahu, they would be talking lava diversion, and they would be seeing what the experts in Iceland and our military could offer. But it's in Puna... enjoy your fire ants, lava fire, and all the tourists coming to watch the destruction. But don't expect any attempts at solutions. Wrong island for that.