Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Scenarios, Preparedness
You're absolutely right terracore, and as a thirty year resident of the rift zone, I agree. This ain't Oahu or Iceland. The entire Puna district will be covered eventually. Kilauea will eventually be the size of Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa. Trying to divert it is futile. Like building a sand castle and trying to dig channels around it to avoid the rising tide. As soon as one eruption episode is over, another soon begins.

A better way is to accept that we live on the most active Volcano on the planet, and design our lifestyle accordingly. Take a lesson from the people that have lived here for centuries; Build modestly, and modular. When the lava comes, as it will; move.

In Kalapana, in the 1990's, homes with insurance burned, as their policies delegated. Homes without insurance were moved to new locations.

If you have a truck and a Lo-Boy trailer; get some dunnage, jacks, 2x4 bracing, and get ready for business. In the 1990's a house could be move for around $10,000. Larger homes were cut up, braced, and moved in sections.

If your home is on a slab; Have some insurance.

quote:
Originally posted by bigseaal

KathyH,
It was not 3 days but more like 3 or 4 months on a no bid contract. They did get it open however. Gas tanker blew up the overpass.

That's the one. I thought it was a gas tanker, but wasn't sure.
Thanks for setting me straight. 3 days, yeah, I hadn't had coffee yet.
I was there in Oakland when the Nimitz collapsed, and all in all that took years, so when I heard what the tanker had done I thought things would be super disrupted for a long time.

I thought at the time I heard they had repaired it, that it was done quite fast considering the massiveness and complexity of that interchange.
Bay Area, there was some sort of accident near the elevated MacArthur interchange

After the Northridge quake took out several miles of I-10 through LA, Caltrans rebuilt everything and had the freeway open in about 50 days.

Granted, they didn't have to keep it open to traffic.

I get it. If major California cities were built on an active volcano, they would surely have their alternative escape routes in place; and would have them constructed very fast.
California and Oahu are both the same in "get it done now! I don't have the patience for this inconvenience!" attitude, and the gov representatives to get it pushed through. If you want it done fast and right, they should use a company like CC Myer, contractor for the highway re constructions mentioned above, and I believe the new SF Bay bridge. Low bidder, no b.s. kind of company that only hires the best, and works them hard, from what I hear.

Community begins with Aloha
only one problem, them and all their equipment are 3000 miles away.
Please get over these Big city comparisons. If there was an active Volcano on Oahu, Honolulu wouldn't exist. It's papayas and starfruit.
I believe I stated "LIKE CC Myers Construction" for if they contracted them it would take a minimum of two weeks to get equipment shipped over if the State said "go". Their workers could fly over in a day. If the State and County reps were really concerned, they would be pulling heavy equipment from all the islands and creating a standby crew to react where necessary once flow direction is confirmed, but sadly, agencies are more "reactive" than "proactive" with acts of nature.
quote:
Originally posted by Tink

California and Oahu are both the same in "get it done now! I don't have the patience for this inconvenience!" attitude, and the gov representatives to get it pushed through. If you want it done fast and right, they should use a company like CC Myer, contractor for the highway re constructions mentioned above, and I believe the new SF Bay bridge. Low bidder, no b.s. kind of company that only hires the best, and works them hard, from what I hear.

Community begins with Aloha

Funny, but as I was reading through the posts about highway reconstruction I couldn't help but think of C.C. Meyers, then I got to your post Tink. This guy (and his company) are famous around here - central Cal - for getting big jobs done, done correctly, in record time and on budget. The state actually gives a big cash bonus/incentive for the number of days a project is finished ahead of time. That's why he/they get sh** done quickly.
i don't know why everyone doesn't want to get projects done on time, especially if being paid by the job. less time on job equals more money per hour. my funny experience with contractors around here is they want to spend as little time as possible on a job, even when offering more money to take more time and do a better, more thorough job.