Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost of a catchment tank cover
Shoots Lee M-S,. it sure does ... 8mm is nearly 5/16" thick .. But did you know the difference 'till today ?

Imagine people surprise when it comes ?
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

So what does a tank cover do? The manual from the state really advocated having a solid cover,

I talked to the guy at Island Catchment about a solid tank cover, and the short answer is that a solid tank cover costs more than the tank does. The long answer is that there is no standardization on tank sizes so nobody manufacturers a pre-fab "kit" which would make the price reasonable. Also that if it's a solid tank cover that sits on the tank, the way they are braced puts an outward pressure on the tank which it's not designed for, so the tank itself requires reinforcement so it doesn't burst open. There was a guy down in South Point who's house was knocked off it's post and piers when his tank failed and the wall of water hit his house (I don't know if has anything to do with a tank cover but it illustrates the dangers of the tanks bursting). A friend of mine (also in South Point) had his tank burst open too, but fortunately the side that burst was facing away from his house.
Yeah, I inquired about the fitted sheet metal cones too and was told they have to be individually made for tanks because the sizes aren't standardized and they run about $15,000 so they are mostly sold to government agencies because they are so loaded with money. There's a nice example of the expensive one at the Pahoa Transfer station. I suppose for what they spent they could have drilled a well but the great thing about governments is they all cry poverty while trying to spend as much as possible.

Back this winter/spring I compared the cost/ quality between the two covers Island Catchment regularly carries. The thin polypropylene mesh like an animal feed bag lasts maybe 3-5 years and costs maybe 150-175 for a 17-20 ft. diameter tank. They also have a much heavier and more durable fabric that is supposed to last 10 years for the same size but it actually lets more light through so you have to do better algae control (more bleach, more often).

Since the last cover I bought was the cheaper one in 2009 and it was pretty shredded by winter I decided to buy the longer lasting cover for maybe $225-250 and am glad I did because I synched it down tightly before Iselle and had no problems whereas 3 of my close neighbors had cheaper and looser fitting covers and all suffered losses.
Instead of spending over $200 for a frame over my tank to keep the cover from sagging into the water I strung wires across it and lowered the water level a couple inches. This cost me about $10 and about an 1 1/2 hr time and we shall see if this solution endures over time. The beach ball in the center is also an interesting solution.
Aloha- bumping this topic up to report purchase of a new cover online, see reason for buying it and how new one looks at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/9416222@N0...862239070/
Got this on Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/Robelle-3015-4-Dura-Guard-Ground-15-Feet/dp/B00BCL6HK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409337337&sr=8-1&keywords=Robelle+3015-4+Dura-Guard+Ultra+Above+Ground+Pool+Cover+for+15-Feet+Round+Pools
Very reasonable price, fairly dutious solid thickness, 20 year limited warranty. Quite similar to my previous one which was installed in Sept. of '94, so I'll be happy if I get half that from the new one.
Just fyi for Tom and others who may not yet have purchased the overpriced local mesh ones...

-dwajs
-dwajs
If you have a tank cover frame and you're using a pool cover like that, make sure that during the first rain you note where the water is pooling up on the cover and cut holes for it to drain into the tank, otherwise the entire ensemble will collapse into your tank.

shade cloth cut to size works
aloha

Dan D
HPP

HPP
Rudy's Shade will custom make you any size with solid grommets ( brass ) that do not rust.
We only shop local.Known Rudy since small kids time.I used to clean his home .
He is the BEST and local .
If you are a senior a 10% discount ,but not sure.
Ours from Rudy has lasted for 28 years an still in top shape.
Mrs.Mimosa
Beautiful photos TomK! [Smile]

They weren't my best, but thank you, mermaid! Many years ago I posted a link here to a picture I took at the bottom of Paradise Drive - you may recognize the location - this is still one of my favorites.

https://goo.gl/OnPNDV
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12036