Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do if/when Ebola gets here?
What's an experts opinion?
Why not see what one of those who discovered the virus has to say about it?
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oc...t-outbreak
Treating Ebola at the source:

The Pentagon said on Friday it may send nearly 4,000 troops to West Africa to support America's response to the Ebola crisis, almost 1,000 above its previous estimate, and cautioned its projections may change further.

"We aren't going to be in the treatment business," Kirby said. "These are logisticians, engineers, civil affairs folks, that are going to be helping establish the infrastructure so that health care workers can do the job that they need to do.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/03...MQ20141003
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
A nurse in Spain has just tested positive for Ebola. She is the first person to contract it outside of Africa and has been on vacation for the last week, while feeling "ill". I didn't read any more, but they knew in Spain that they were dealing with Ebola from the "getgo" and she still caught it in the hospital...
It was a nurse's assistant in Spain who was treating a Spanish missionary and a Spanish priest, both had returned from West Africa to be treated for Ebola. The nurse's assistant did contract the disease from the two infected men in Spain.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Well, I am just dying to know (no pun intended) how exactly she caught this with all the safeguards in place, and where exactly has she been on holiday for the last week. We have good HealthSystems in the developed world, but they will run out of ICU beds and Negative Pressure rooms if this thing gets any kind of foothold. Scary.
Depending on the size of the hospital, there are not that many isolation rooms. THAT is a scary thought. I agree...what happened if she was assigned to care for these patients and still managed to get it. I realize in undeveloped countries that techniques may not be up to par, but if they knew the patients were Ebola positive, and she was assigned to their care, then she should have been prepared with full personal protective equipment. Did the equipment "fail", did she not follow through on precaution techniques, or what!?!???

Best wishes
Best wishes
A cure for ebola has been developed already and in the states it won't be able to be as much of an epidemic as in developing nations in west Africa. First and foremost because we have better options for health care and two because we don't eat bush meat at least not the same kind of bush meat. The kind of animals that are hunted for meat here and the way they are prepared and distributed does not allow for ebola to spread. Ebola emerged out of a common place which is an illegal bush meat market in Liberia (I believe). Actually it is the same area where AIDS emerged from and for a similar reason. People are eating monkey meat there that is not cured or refrigerated properly and also there is a way that some of the meat is smoked that exacerbates the growth of bacteria and disease. It is traditional to eat bush meat in certain countries but unfortunately some of those countries have no enforced standards of sanitation and food preparation. Ebola is spread through bodily fluids so it is actually not that easy to contract in the U.S. because of our laws around sanitary food prep.
So how does the reading of Emily Naole/R.J. Hamption and Sativa's vaccination resolution look in a moment of world concern about an Ebola virus?

RESOLUTION NO. 237 09 (Draft 4)

A RESOLUTION URGING HAWAII STATE AND FEDERAL LEGISLATORS TO AMEND VACCINE LAWS TO INCLUDE THE RIGHT OF MEDICAL, RELIGIOUS, AND PHILOSOPHICAL EXEMPTION FROM ANY VACCINATION PROGRAM.

WHEREAS, on June 11, 2009, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared a Level 6 pandemic and according to the International Health Regulations of 2005, the WHO and the U.N. become the controlling agencies of the U.S. in the event of a declared Level 6 Pandemic; and

WHEREAS, Hawaii Revised Statute 302A-1157, titled Exemptions from immunization; not recognized; epidemic conditions, states: If at any time there is, in the opinion of the department of health, danger of an epidemic from any of the communicable diseases for which immunization is required under sections 302A-1154 to 302A-1163, no exemption from immunization against the disease shall be recognized. Quarantine shall be a legal alternative to immunization and

WHEREAS, on April 25, 2005, Governor Linda Lingle signed into law S.B. 781 and H.B. 672 relating to the Enforcement of Quarantine, which clarifies that police officers and sheriffs have the authority and duty to enforce quarantine orders when required by the Department of Health; and

WHEREAS, vaccines are made with toxic chemicals and foreign proteins (viruses and bacteria), and some vaccines are made with genetically engineered viral and bacterial materials; and

WHEREAS, the $7 billion United States Government fast-track program means that the government can legally rush vaccines onto the market in time for the autumn 2009 flu season without normal or adequate safety testing; and

WHEREAS, Homeland Security Bill HR 5710, Sections 1714-1717, shields the pharmaceutical industry from lawsuits for injuries caused by FDA-approved vaccines; and

WHEREAS, there is insufficient scientific evidence proving that vaccines are safe or effective, therefore it is not in the best interest of public health to recommend vaccinations without exemptions; and

WHEREAS, in the wake of potential harm to the individual and the public from vaccinations, and the vacillating interpretation of vaccine science, it is in the public's best interest to amend the vaccine laws, to include the right of medical, religious, and philosophical exemptions from any vaccination program; now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE COUNTY OF HAWAII, that it urges our state and federal elected officials who represent the people of the State of Hawaii to amend vaccine laws to include medical, religious, and philosophical exemptions from any vaccine program.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that any vaccine known to contain harmful viruses or any materials known to prompt autoimmune diseases or cancer risks shall provide cause for exemption for any person in the State of Hawaii who so desires such exemption.

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED, that the county clerk shall forward a copy of this resolution to the Honorable William Kenoi, Mayor; Dr. Chiyome Fukino, Director Department of Health; the Honorable Linda Lingle, Governor; the Honorable Daniel Akaka, U. S. Senator; the Honorable Daniel Inouye, U. S. Senator; the Honorable Mazie Hirono, U.S. Representative; the Honorable Neil Abercrombie, U.S. Representative; the Honorable Colleen Hanabusa, State Senate President; and the Honorable Calvin K.Y. Say, Speaker of the State House.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
So how does the reading of Emily Naole/R.J. Hamption and Sativa's vaccination resolution look in a moment of world concern about an Ebola virus?

Looks like natural selection at its finest. Who are we to intervene?
Are Darwin Awards bestowed on a local level?