Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do if/when Ebola gets here?
"A cure for ebola has been developed already "
News to me!
"No specific treatment for the disease is yet available" says Wikipedia.

If there was an Ebola outbreak in the USA it would be spread from person to person. There is no need for anyone to eat bush meat, that's how it got started and keeps getting started in Africa. The lack of bush meat in the US won't have any effect on the spread of Ebola.
"A cure for ebola has been developed already "

Vaccine is considered "experimental" and not available on the open market, but has been used successfully to cure at least one infected person. In the US, of course.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/0...UT20141006
I don't know if it is true or not but I read (and can't find the link) that an experimental drug is made from GMOed tobacco.

Jerry
Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

Beside making snide comments.. what Anxious Messiah have you added to this discussion that is worth considering? Let me guess.. you pointed out weak aspects of my comments so as to discredit me entirely.. is that the gist of it? Well then what have you added of your own worth to the discussion? Do you have something POSITIVE (caps added for YOUR benefit) that you'd like to contribute?

You are the one came at me.
My OP pretty much summed up my opinion - Specifically that getting into a tiz is going to accomplish nothing. And if one has a diminished immune system, getting worked up over nothing (and nothing is exactly what this whole Ebola thing is, currently) is only going to stress your immune system more with needless worry and contribute to others getting fired up for no good reason.

Taking the same precautions one would normally take in everyday life, will do just fine. Here is perfect illustration of the differences between Africa and here, and why folks shouldn't let themselves become so wound up over Ebola here in the US:

http://mic.com/articles/100426/one-meme-...a-epidemic

Your hysterical words of response are what discredit you, not those of my response to them.

Here is one link,there are many !

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/20...s-victims/

I guess because of the anti gmo ordinance here on the Big Island,we are all doomed to die !!

Interesting article.

Norovirus, that one sucks, I picked that one up in Hilo at a dinning establishment I won't name here.

It's nice to see they have some promising avenue to take in treating Ebola. The doctor they treated was later readmitted to the hospital with symptoms of pneumonia... I hope it's not a side effect of the treatment though if it were, it's an acceptable trade-off considering the risk otherwise.

GMO has it's place no doubt and has since the production of insulin. Just not in everyday food without a label, thank-you. Wink

Now what about the Africans?
The Africans are still facing the 1.92^ of 20 day increments in the transmission rate of Ebola. Won't take much longer before their population is reduced by 1/2 at this rate.
Not much longer, eh? Okay, tell us a date. Population of Africa is currently just over a billion.

Here's my prediction: the population of Africa won't drop under a billion in our lifetimes.

--
I'm sure the anti-science crowd will be lining up for the GMO drugs if we ever got a real pandemic.
Paulw,
You are mistaking the current rate of spread of the virus with what will or will not happen. What will happen if the current rate continues uninterrupted is x if interrupted there exists no simple mathematical resolution. If you would like to know how long it would take to reduce the African population via the current rate of transmission, the factors are in my previous post. If you don't know how to use it and would like me to give an estimate, I'd be more than happy to run it down for you. Just don't mistake the current rate of transmission for my personal opinion estimates. Please stop taking things out of context. Thank-you.