Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
True.
I guess the word racist gets used in a lot of ways now, but I think it is useful to go back to its specific meaning.

Racism is the belief that the people of a "race" all share common attributes just by being of that race, by genetics. No matter where they are born or how they are raised, to believe they are defined by the genetic lottery of skin pigment and so forth.

It's a horrible belief that limits people by sticking them in a box they can never raise themselves out of by effort or character.

It's just as much racism to believe that everyone of a race shares the same good qualities automatically.

There's no excuse any more for the ignorance of racism. You don't have to love every person on the planet, but never believe you truly know any person by looking and judging on that simple level. No one is qualified to make sweeping statements about all people of any ethnicity. Furthermore it's lazy, shows you haven't bothered to expand your experience of those who don't look like you or talk like you.

Calling people of European ancestry "no breaths" is racist. Even if the story of origin is true, so what if they were labeled breathless because their culture was different. Yes, when radically different cultures meet for the first time, there are bound to be some off base ideas of the strange people on both sides of the equation. That's fine.

What's not fine is to keep on with the same ignorance of the other people after centuries of co-existence, and to top it off with saying "they all do this, they're all greedy or stupid or whatever. That's racism. Feeling superior is just an unfortunate side effect of the problem. The core problem is failing to see the individuality of people in spite of heritage and DNA.

Kathy
That was actually pretty well said KathtyH. I understand that Rob disapproves of criticism of the Kanaka and to a degree I can sympathize with the feeling. There is no doubt,IMHO, that historically, the common, non-royal, natives haven't faired well in many respects. I can even sympathize with Rob's desire, expressed a number of years ago (I believe during Emily's first campaign), that Puna should have a Kanaka representative as they were under represented and the district contained a larger native population than other districts. I'll agree with the sentiment within reason, everything else being equal.

I can't condone what is generally considered racist language simply by virtue of it's being used by a Kanaka. I'm then shocked when someone, whose posts and opinions I otherwise respect, applauds such usage and congratulates the user for the courage to use such language. I just don't get it. Wrong is wrong and two wrong/s still don't make a right.

As for the TMT protests I'm not much bothered. Poor behavior by protesters is expected and people being people, some poor behavior by those holding views contrary to those of the protesters is also expected. Unfortunate but it seems expected now.

No, I don't consider myself an expert on Hawaiian culture. Call me a haole, a cracker or even a f*cking haole, but you better do it with a smile and we better be friends first.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Frankly I am surprised that the Hawaiian community activism is not stronger and louder. The fleecing of the Hawaiian people is not ancient history, it goes on today in ways large and small. The state's departments charged with managing the assets of the Hawaiian people are better at consuming those assets with inflated payrolls and payola than anything else. I've attended some DHHL presentations what were astonishing in their shear brazen lack of embarrassment for what they were doing.

As a culture it is noteworthy just how patient and undemanding the Hawaiian people are. So much so that when a small few get in front of the bus to complain people act shocked.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
anyone who felt "shocked" by last week's activism up on MK raise your mouse. actually it was rather typical generally speaking. those words reported spoken, i wouldn't exactly call that shocking as much as foolishly rash and rather embarrassing.
Very well said Rob. I couldn't agree more.
Discuss Truth quote:"It appears my "beheading" comment has ruffled some feathers."

Discuss_Truth, that is what you always want to do is ruffle feathers.
Not only ruffle feathers, you want to pluck them while they're still alive.

But the good people in this forum are catching on to your game.

Rob Tucker quote:"As a culture it is noteworthy just how patient and undemanding the Hawaiian people are. So much so that when a small few get in front of the bus to complain people act shocked."

Rob, I really love what you said and agree with you wholeheartedly!
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Frankly I am surprised that the Hawaiian community activism is not stronger and louder. The fleecing of the Hawaiian people is not ancient history, it goes on today in ways large and small. The state's departments charged with managing the assets of the Hawaiian people are better at consuming those assets with inflated payrolls and payola than anything else. I've attended some DHHL presentations what were astonishing in their shear brazen lack of embarrassment for what they were doing.

As a culture it is noteworthy just how patient and undemanding the Hawaiian people are. So much so that when a small few get in front of the bus to complain people act shocked.

But lets remember just who, as a majority, is really doing this fleecing.

And remember who said those things at the protest, and who those comments were directed at.

quote:
Originally posted by Sativa

Discuss Truth quote:"It appears my "beheading" comment has ruffled some feathers."

Discuss_Truth, that is what you always want to do is ruffle feathers.
Not only ruffle feathers, you want to pluck them while they're still alive.

But the good people in this forum are catching on to your game.

I posed a question based upon a comment made by a Native Hawaiian directed towards Native Hawaiians - during a religiously based protest.

You should look at what is going on in this world today.

Potentially "boots on the ground" fighting this same religious ignorance in another part of this world very very soon.

American Boots that is.

D.T. you compare isil/isis to the protesters here in Hawaii. religious Ignorance you say.

Look into the mirror to see who is adding hype.

The words spoken were by a Native Hawaiian to a Native Hawaiian.

Having said that, the words used were exactly the same as the hype you wish to interject.

All I did was pose a supposed question, based upon the use of those words.