Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rat Lungworm
quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

RLW, LFA, PGV, Coquis, Lava, Ciguetara(sp?), Albezia, Oh My!

Who says living in paradise is easy?

Ahh, but you all have each other, besides with all those things, plus the mountain, hurricanes, potential tsunamis, a friend in need is a friend indeed.[Wink]
And you don't have 12 in. of snow outside.[Sad]

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.

Sure beats Lions and Tigers and Bears...
oh my!

(sorry, couldn't resist..)
quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

Sure beats Lions and Tigers and Bears...

Well, just click your red sequin shoes together and all will be well.
You do have don't you?

Out of curiosity, what would you guys pay for island grown, just cut, feed-it-to-your-baby, 100% safe produce ?

Lets say a head of romaine ?

Just wondering.
aloha,
pog
Well for the last 5 years or so it seems that some like Russle Ruderman are trying to figure out this same question as you asked Pog. The prices at these health food stores are crazy high for organic fresh produce whether its from here or not. Almost feels as if the state is helping, or supporting the price increases. The prices of farming essentials like soil and ferts have all been going up with the addition of things like ratlungworm, snails, slugs, and frogs that make farming for yourself harder to accomplish.
To answer your question though Pog, personally i like to go down to some of the larger produce farms in Opihikao and work with all the woolfers who work to stay or pray. Usually on good days the lunches can be full of natures finest foods, then after a few hours or day of honest work, usually I will pay about 50 cents for a good head or two of organic lettuce. About 50 cents a pound for most fruits as well like awesome organic apple bananas and avocados. After doing this for some time now it makes it hard to buy produce at the prices I see in the stores today. Seems like their should be plenty of room for middle men now who could buy in bulk from farms cheaply then sell to the stores who could then charge those same high prices they already do.
quote:
Originally posted by pog

Out of curiosity, what would you guys pay for island grown, just cut, feed-it-to-your-baby, 100% safe produce ?

Lets say a head of romaine ?

Just wondering.
aloha,
pog

$1-3 per head. Just like I do now.
We grow romaine in our lanai (where the slugs can't get at it). I bought a bag of Miracle Grow Organic soil, laid it flat, and cut the top (or side depending on your perception of geometry, imagine the bag being a little garden) off the plastic bag (leaving a lip to contain soil and water) and planted the romaine seeds directly in the bag in the soil. Sometimes when I cut the romaine, it grows back. I threw some pepper seeds in there from some random salad peppers we were eating and now we have big pepper plants growing out of the same bag as well and they have peppers growing on them. I use a liquid fertilizer and everything grows like weeds. I did it as an experiment and it was a big success. I used a "heritage" variety of romaine which is a bit different than your grocery store variety, next time I'm growing the other kind. I imagine a few bags setup like this could keep a couple of people stocked with romaine so long as you remember to water it twice a week or so. Also the bags are small/light enough that you can rotate them once a week so everybody gets a good dose of sunlight.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

We grow romaine in our lanai (where the slugs can't get at it). I bought a bag of Miracle Grow Organic soil, laid it flat, and cut the top (or side depending on your perception of geometry, imagine the bag being a little garden) off the plastic bag (leaving a lip to contain soil and water) and planted the romaine seeds directly in the bag in the soil. Sometimes when I cut the romaine, it grows back. I threw some pepper seeds in there from some random salad peppers we were eating and now we have big pepper plants growing out of the same bag as well and they have peppers growing on them. I use a liquid fertilizer and everything grows like weeds. I did it as an experiment and it was a big success. I used a "heritage" variety of romaine which is a bit different than your grocery store variety, next time I'm growing the other kind. I imagine a few bags setup like this could keep a couple of people stocked with romaine so long as you remember to water it twice a week or so. Also the bags are small/light enough that you can rotate them once a week so everybody gets a good dose of sunlight.

That's a pretty cool idea! Self contained, pre-assembled ready to go garden. [8D]
When I had my appendectomy about 5 years back the room next to mine was occupied by someone just. coming out of a coma. He was about 25 yo and lived down near Papaya Farms Road. Has anyone heard of him lately and how he faired.
Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing