Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Kenoi gets a what??
^^^
Were they afraid? Are they dirty too? If afraid, what of? How unethical is Mayor Billy? What happens if you do report him?
punafish, perfectly stated. 100% agree. Mahalo.

Chunkster makes a very important point: This is repetitive behavior, and the perception of salacious activity ("newsworthy") overshadows the basis of the Mayor's egregious actions.

If this revelation is not career ending for Mr. Kenoi, then my faith in the system we are forced to abide by (ie. laws, rules, politics, etc.) will be gone.

Tutu always said, "what you do in the dark will come out in the light". How true. The question now is, what are the people who elected him (and other officials who work for US) going to do about it?

We shall see.

SO disgusted. [Sad!] HEWA.

JMO.
Another view:

"Since taking office in 2009, Kenoi has racked up more than $120,000 on his county purchase card. Nearly all of that was for legitimate business travel but about $9,000 was spent on personal items, such as a $900 night at the Club Evergreen in 2013 and $400 at the Camelot Restaurant & Lounge in 2009.

The key legal term is "intent." Prosecutors have to show that Kenoi knew or should have known that what he was doing was illegal. Kenoi said he never intended to break the law and did reimburse the county for his questionable expenses."

"I was under the mistaken impression that as long as I made payment, took responsibility and did not shift that burden to the taxpayer that it was okay," Kenoi said earlier this week.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/28719...e-unlikely
@Bullwinkle: Whether prosecutors can show criminal intent or not, Billy broke some basic and easy to understand ethical and administrative rules. He broke them repeatedly and after being told it was not allowed. He should resign, but won't because of his unbridled ego and the $130,000+ salary.

Punatic007 asks, "What happens if you report him?" Exactly the question I should have asked before now. I find it very interesting that two fairly well followed local on-line news outlets, bigislandnow.com and bigislandchronicle.com have reported not one word on what has to be the biggest local news story in quite some time. Anyone know why?
Dont yell at me ---- i quoted a hawaii news now quote of knowledgeable folks in the legal profession.

Some times (most times) the way the law works, bites.

Billy is a lawyer - he knows where the line is - so do the rest of us.....

Now I want to hear more racy facts about those poor non english speaking victims posing as sex workers in a legal establishment - that kind of thing doesnt happen in Waikiki does it? I thought it was just Mexican border towns.....
there does not seem to be any standards or ethics . if this were done by an individual in the private sector there would be consequences .
punafish,
I agree with you as well. All there to this case so far are credit card charges for personal purchases made by the mayor on a government card. Unless someone steps forward with additional information, not innuendo, there's nothing more to this case.

If the police and prosecutor's office proceed with their investigation of the personal credit card charges, that's all that can happen with what we now know.

If the mayor's wife wishes to conduct her own investigation of possible personal misconduct, that's for her to decide. If she does find out it's part of the case as some have implied, I doubt anyone else could do a better job in prosecuting and sentencing him anyway.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
if this were done by an individual in the private sector there would be consequences

Disagree: consider the egregious "misconduct" allegedly taking place at HPPOA and HARC, with nary a consequence to be seen, and nobody to lead by example.
kala you are spot on with that . there are no consequences
there are no consequences

More accurately: there are no "meaningful" consequences for "the instigators".

The residents experience the "consequences" of higher fees and taxes.

AG doesn't investigate for free; nor are lawsuits to settle Association governance issues cheap.

Now, if Kenoi had used his pCard to buy some stop signs...