Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's say the TMT protestors succeed...
quote:
Originally posted by Southernmost

See ya wouldn't want to be ya!!! Goodbye Puna worthless no matter web!!!!!!!

Famous last words.
Really what are the chances that telescope relocates to another mountain? 25% ? Greater? There are some higher mountains in the Andes in the Chile or Peru area, why not there instead? I'm sure there already are many telescopes there already but maybe some of the Inca Indian old-timer residents are against more mountaintop telescopes there too. How about compromise here on our mountain? If this new telescope is that much better and is going to be able to see distant objects that the other ones already on Mauna Kea cannot see, how about take one down and build in that spot. No new area has to be desecrated. Why does there have to be so many telescopes in the first place? Why can't we just share one big one? Jeez, we human beings really seem like idjits sometimes.

"Life is a test with many failures and some success"
Why does there have to be so many telescopes in the first place?

There are many different astronomy programs throughout the world. Each of them has a specific area of research; exoplanets, quasars, comets, etc. They need to have access to a telescope best suited to their needs (there are different types of telescopes), and institutions or researchers are allotted time periods for their use.

Researchers study extremely small areas of the sky, an area so small it may be useless to the work of another astronomer. It's not possible to have 5 astronomers share 2 hours of time on a telescope focused in the same part of the sky. It would be like 5 people trying to use the same lane at a bowling alley, all at the same time.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Proposed telescope in Chile
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/...pe-chilean
eigoya,

I'm not sure what your point is, if indeed you have one. The European Southern Observatory (ESO) has been operating in Chile for a long time and it makes sense for them to build the ELT in Chile. They have no telescopes in Hawaii so no operational base to use; they would have to start from scratch.

On the other hand, the TMT considered three separate sites in Chile, one in Mexico and one on Mauna Kea. For various scientific, economic and political reasons they chose Mauna Kea.

So if you meant to make a point, I hope you can explain what it is.
"So if you meant to make a point,I hope you can explain what it is."

someone earlier had asked about whether there was one and I had just read the article. I thought that's what we do here.....Wow.
Oh, OK, think I understand now. It wasn't obvious to me if you were saying the TMT should be in Chile or something else.
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

...Today we have a new generation of Hawaiians who insist on resurrecting the old gods and superstitious beliefs which were used by the elites of Hawaiian society to oppress and subjugate the common people. They claim to represent the wishes of our ancestors, but who exactly are they speaking for? There is no evidence, historical or otherwise, to suggest that our ancestors would have opposed the construction of a device that would have allowed them to see stars that they have never seen before. Indeed, there is no historical evidence to suggest that our ancestors were opposed to ANY new technology of ANY kind. I’ve scoured the historical record and I have been unable to find any instances where Hawaiians were against science and technology en masse. This new movement appears to be an entirely novel concept, but where is it coming from?
Neo-luddism and new age spiritualism, imported directly from California and the mainland, have combined with certain aspects of Hawaiian culture to form a brand new religion/culture. This new anti-science movement is opposed to all kinds of beneficial technologies, from telescopes to genetic engineering and even vaccines. Many Hawaiians, economically disadvantaged and lacking a proper education, fall victim to these kinds of ideologies because they offer the promise of “ancient knowledge” as a solution to modern problems. This highly idealized version of history is extremely popular with many Hawaiians. But this neo-luddite view is ahistorical and ignores what life was really like before contemporary history and what life was really like under the kapu system for the vast majority of kanaka maoli...."
read more intelligence here...http://www.bronsonkaahui.com/2015/04/08/tmt/

Dont be a lemming jumping all on the Mauna Kea 'Bandwagon' because you think its cool to be like Kelly Slater (lol), and/or so the 'pseudowannabe locals' will like ya better...
aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha

Precisely!!

It is pathetic to see people from somewhere else try to be like they were raised in Hawaii by speaking da kine. It never seems to work. Be who you are, not who you aren't. Being from Hawaii is no more special than being from Texas, or Wyoming or wherever. Sure, the Ocean and weather are nice, but it isn't magical or mystical. Now Tahiti.... that's different!!!

Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!
Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!
The only dysfunctional people I see are the ones who support the TMT Project.

Watch and educate yourselves to the facts behind the current telescopes and the proposed TMT Project. You will discover all the hidden dangers to our land and water sources, if this project is built
Http://3dTMT.tumblr.com
Never underestimate the power of a small group of committed people to change the world. In fact, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead.

quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

seriously makes me wonder why some people live here.

Here's another answer (below) to the question from another thread (above) :

These are angry people.
mostly dysfunctional angry people.
mis or displaced outlet for their repressed anger.
predators who enjoy the criminal aspect
propaganda of living in an apologist society.

Aloha, lucky we live Hawaii?

If it is built, don't expect to have safe, clean, drinking water anymore. Here are the facts in this video, showing all the hidden dangers of the project. TMT 3D HD Google Earth model impact of Thirty Meter Telescope [:0] http://3dtmt.tumblr.com/

quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

Your point is moot as the TMT will be built.