Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neighbor's scary experience
I thought about putting a solar street light where I park my car. Haven't had anything stolen or problems myself or have I heard of anyone else having problems in my hood. Lot's of drugs though on our street, maybe a good thing or a bad thing... Anyway....

I like walking around on my lot at night when it's cooler and sometimes I just go for a stroll down the driveway chatting with friends on the cell. I've often thought about how I like to do it in pitch darkness when no one can really see me. With motion sensors it would be impossible to do that.

Anyone know of ones that could be remotely turned off? I thought about maybe putting in a waterproof switch at the bottom but hidden. Wire it directly into the battery connection.

Yes, I know, someone could just turn the switch off if they knew it was there, but this light would be mostly for me, so I could see at night when getting out of my car. Thoughts?
Oh no!! Two strange or suspicious vehicles were in your neighborhood (cased?), just terrible. Even worse the vehicles were being driven by nutcases? You may own your house, probably not your street, most certainly not your subdivision. Why chase down or follow to find a couple of suspicious cars if they did not take anything? Sounds like some are nervous or paranoid( your neighbor) maybe in need of some extra attention? Hope you all got some sleep that evening?

Tomk, Kind of funny to me or maybe a bit ironic how you relate installing lights or bright lights around as a safty or curiosity measure? The light I would use for your neighbors would be free while also said politely just before En Up, honey, chap, or mate. Our community, county, and island as a whole, is on light restrictions due in part to the important observatory communities hard work atop Maunakea? Safety along our dark highways or rural subdivisions is what we all need as a priority before another Mossman type of accident happens again?.jmopinions or two cents.

Oh no!! ...nutcases? You may own your house, probably not your street... some are nervous or paranoid( your neighbor)...bright lights around as a safty or curiosity measure? ... En Up, honey, chap, or mate... jmopinions or two cents.

All oyster shells today...
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
We have several cameras, some hidden some obvious that cover our entire property. We also have motion detectors set up that let us know when anyone's walking on the property.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Oh no!! ...nutcases? You may own your house, probably not your street... some are nervous or paranoid( your neighbor)...bright lights around as a safty or curiosity measure? ... En Up, honey, chap, or mate... jmopinions or two cents.

All oyster shells today...

LMAO! (Sorry, gypsy, but funny as all heck[:I]). Thanks, HOTPE.
funny that you do own your street in our subdivisions.

Nice try, but crackpot is cracked out again.
Where is A Road in HPP ?
There are apps available for smartphones that turn them into motion sensing security cameras/alarms. They can use a wifi connection so the phone doesn't need a service plan to work. There are various options like uploading the video to a cloud or saving it on the phone or some other device like a computer. You can even tune into what the phone sees anywhere in the world. A good reason not to take a worthless trade-in value for an old phone... keep it and use it for security. Smartphones not trying to connect to a tower don't use much power and if the battery isn't shot they have a built-in power backup.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Oh no!! Two strange or suspicious vehicles were in your neighborhood (cased?), just terrible. Even worse the vehicles were being driven by nutcases? You may own your house, probably not your street, most certainly not your subdivision. Why chase down or follow to find a couple of suspicious cars if they did not take anything? Sounds like some are nervous or paranoid( your neighbor) maybe in need of some extra attention? Hope you all got some sleep that evening?

Tomk, Kind of funny to me or maybe a bit ironic how you relate installing lights or bright lights around as a safty or curiosity measure? The light I would use for your neighbors would be free while also said politely just before En Up, honey, chap, or mate. Our community, county, and island as a whole, is on light restrictions due in part to the important observatory communities hard work atop Maunakea? Safety along our dark highways or rural subdivisions is what we all need as a priority before another Mossman type of accident happens again?.jmopinions or two cents.

Your posts are all fun and games gypsy until I remember you have children and then it`s just sad... Not even oyster shells this time. Just rubbish.
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We decided to go with this model:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-180-D.../203303753

It'll take a few days to charge and not the cheapest option, but it had a pretty decent range for detecting motion and the lights are somewhat directional. Very easy to set up and the solar panel can go as far as 16 feet away from the lights.

DBisme - Kaloli Point area. Ericlp, all the lights I looked at can be turned off and a few have remotes. The ones I bought don't have a remote and can't remember which ones do, but they are available. I understand where you're coming from, I love going out in the true darkness and looking at the night sky, so definitely want to be able to control the lighting.

PS. License plate HMK596