Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CoH takes care of it's burglars
He has probably learned much about his chosen profession.
Bottom line is Judge Nakamura has failed us and has sent out the message that if you break into the home of a senior citizen during a state of emergency in Puna and attempt to steal her car you get a slap on the wrist.

Thanks judge! Is it's time to resign yet? At the very least pls go back to school to study criminal justice, regardless if they are your relatives.

Theft and criminal behavior in Puna is currently a serious problem, not the time to defer sentences for car theft and burglary. Geez.
punishment fits the crime....

sounds about right he is screwed with that probation sentence....

it wasnt a home invasion, and he is 23 w/no priors, and already sat in jail for last 9 months....

the trap (county scam) is the 4 yrs probation, but he probably had no real say in the deal... probation is a scam for the county to 'rape' the dude for many years to come, extending probation when they fail... most are set up to fail on this... its a scam!

....always take the 'time' over probation....

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Perhaps he will rehabilitate and perhaps 1 year in jail is enough but what about the woman involved.

All I could find was from the original arrest: "Medeiros was released later Wednesday pending further investigation."

She gets off free? Why. She's just as guilty.
bananahead: "the trap (county scam) is the 4 yrs probation, but he probably had no real say in the deal... probation is a scam for the county to 'rape' the dude for many years to come, extending probation when they fail... most are set up to fail on this... its a scam!....always take the 'time' over probation...."

All someone has to do to avoid this situation is be an honest person who doesn't steal from their fellow citizens, then no probation "scam" to worry about. Good thing someone here on punaweb has solid advice and concern for career criminals.

I have no sympathy for this jerk, no one knows if this guy was an amateur who got caught his first time out (unlikely), or if he was an unlucky career criminal who just got caught this time (more likely). Either way he and his partner were caught in the act of stealing a vehicle and all he is getting is a slap on the wrist while she apparently got off with no punishment at all. In some cases the prosecutor doesn't have much evidence to work with, but this guy was caught in the act!
Studies indicate that increased punishment does not reduce crime, it just placates the outraged masses. It's an attempted robbery that resulted in 9 months in jail and 4 years probation, this is not a slap on the wrist. As a society we put way too much faith in prisons to 'keep us safe' and too little emphasis on rehabilitation and prevention, and by prevention, I mean education and an active neighborhood watch. Too many of our young people are being put in jail in the vain hope that it will reform them. I've met people on this Island that have been put in jail for sleeping on a park bench because they are homeless and don't have the money to pay a fine for it. I've met a guy who was going to jail because he made the mistake of driving without current safety stickers on his vehicle (repeat offenses, no money to pay fine). When you get out of jail, you have a record and your employment prospects drop further, leaving little option but crime to make a living, especially for those with few skills due to a lack of education. What we really need are programs to teach job skills and entrepreneurship combined a lot more community service sentences for those who break the law.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
quote:
Originally posted by VancouverIslander

Studies indicate that increased punishment does not reduce crime, it just placates the outraged masses.

Well, what else have we got?

The police and CoH do zero for preventative effort. They do a piss poor job of catching crooks and closing cases. Incompetence reins. The thieves are more professional than the authorities. Kubojiri is a better friend to the criminals than he is to the taxpayers.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:

Studies indicate that increased punishment does not reduce crime, it just placates the outraged masses. It's an attempted robbery that resulted in 9 months in jail and 4 years probation, this is not a slap on the wrist. As a society we put way too much faith in prisons to 'keep us safe' and too little emphasis on rehabilitation and prevention, and by prevention, I mean education and an active neighborhood watch. Too many of our young people are being put in jail in the vain hope that it will reform them. I've met people on this Island that have been put in jail for sleeping on a park bench because they are homeless and don't have the money to pay a fine for it. I've met a guy who was going to jail because he made the mistake of driving without current safety stickers on his vehicle (repeat offenses, no money to pay fine). When you get out of jail, you have a record and your employment prospects drop further, leaving little option but crime to make a living, especially for those with few skills due to a lack of education. What we really need are programs to teach job skills and entrepreneurship combined a lot more community service sentences for those who break the law.

Just call me Mike

Locking someone up for sleeping on a park bench or driving with expired safety stickers and the burglary of a home are entirely unrelated issues. Are we supposed to have sympathy for someone who tries to steal a vehicle because someone else is driving with no safety stickers?

The issue here is that the criminals who prey on others in our community are not effectively punished, so young people grow up thinking it is a viable career choice to take what they want from those who worked for it.
What we have, Rob, is ourselves and our neighbors. Everybody needs to watch out for each other. This is the bottom line, but we need better education and training of our young people to prepare them for making an honest living for themselves, which in the end reduces crime dramatically. We need to make a society where there are visible alternatives to crime.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
quote:

What we have, Rob, is ourselves and our neighbors. Everybody needs to watch out for each other. This is the bottom line, but we need better education and training of our young people to prepare them for making an honest living for themselves, which in the end reduces crime dramatically. We need to make a society where there are visible alternatives to crime.

Just call me Mike

What is the point in having effective neighborhood watches, or neighbors who watch out for one another, if the prosecutors and judges let the criminals off with minor punishment when they are caught red handed in the act of stealing? Again and again criminals here are caught for new criminal acts while out on probation for prior criminal acts. At least if they are locked up they can't do more crimes in our community for the duration of their sentence.

These two were caught stealing someone's truck. For my household, the theft of my 11 year old vehicle with 100,000+ miles on it would be financially disastrous. Where is the sympathy for the victims instead of the criminals?