Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Court remands TMT sublease
The article above (Civil Beat Editorial posted by dakine) is a well written assessment of the debacle the State/BLNR created.

Lest we forget, this is designated CONSERVATION LAND, which carries far more restrictions and conditions than other property not designated as such.

The damn DLNR/BLNR/State of Hawaii screwed up as usual, and have no backbone to correct the situation which is costing all of us in the end. Hewa loa.

Well, it's election time, and I for one, want a clean sweep of the DLNR and especially, the BLNR.

The protestors/protectors legal position was upheld by the Supreme Court, so to continue blaming them alone is unfair. Blame belongs squarely upon the shoulders of this damn State, and it's elected/appointed officials.

JMO.
The protestors/protectors legal position was upheld by the Supreme Court, so to continue blaming them alone is unfair.

I agree, there's more than enough blame to go around for everyone. But I also don't think any of them should be left out because one or another may be considered to have more responsibility for the debacle. It was a team effort.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
If anything that's what we learned from the Superferry debacle.

The TMT debacle proves that nothing was actually learned from the Superferry failure.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

If anything that's what we learned from the Superferry debacle.

The TMT debacle proves that nothing was actually learned from the Superferry failure.

Yes, kalakoa, this is quite true. Mahalo. The State of Hawaii has continued to usurp the laws of the land, as it were. From Federal law, to State law, to County law.

It is beyond comprehension that this one particular project (TMT), proves (again) the lack of "Fiduciary responsibility" and management, that each one of these elected/appointed officials hold on our behalf. SO damn disappointed. Again.

TMT is not at fault here. It is the State of Hawaii, and their minions. The protestors/protectors would not have reacted to this issue (there would have been other platforms for sovereignty) if not for the State being remiss in following the law. Good God, reflecting on the Supreme Court's questions like, "Would you like me to read you your own rules?" to the State's/UH's attorney! SMFH.

As an aside, it is with great concern that the Chairman of OHA has had some health issues, thus, will not be able to participate in this, nor any other matter OHA is involved in. (Apologies for the OT of sorts. OHA is a player in this "game", as such, mention the situation. Source: OHA website: http://www.oha.org/news/statement-oha-ch...th-status/). May Akua guide OHA during this challenging time, and surround Mr. Lindsey with grace, healing, and protection.

dakine, agreed, 100%. SMH.

Now, the onus is upon Judge Amano to carry this forward. Truly interesting times.

JMO.

P.S. Please pardon my verve. This is getting on my last nerve as ohana is involved on both sides of this issue. Very trying. Mahalo.
From http://www.civilbeat.com/2016/04/blrn-mu...t-process/

"But even Judge Amano’s appointment carries with it a controversy in which the board’s judgment once again is being called into question. An attorney for the Native Hawaiian cultural group Mauna Kea Anaina Hou and other interested parties says that the board hasn’t followed its own rules for delegating the authority for the hearing to Amano.

Lawyer Richard Naiwieha Wurdeman contends the board was required to hold a public hearing on the matter first — a step that was skipped. Now Wurderman tells Civil Beat he’ll file formal objections to Amano’s selection sometime before the April 15 deadline the board has set for complaints on the issue.
"

If this turns out to be another screw up by the BLNR, what on earth will the rest of the world think of Hawaii?

Dakine - copying and then posting an entire article written by someone else is really poor form. Not only are you putting yourself at risk of legal action for copyright infringement, you're putting Rob at risk as well. Please think before you post.

Lawyers have successfully created a process that cannot be followed successfully to any legal conclusion. Any opponent to anything shall always prevail, simply through endless litigation rather than quality of argument. This seems by design.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Any opponent to anything shall always prevail, simply through endless litigation

Only against Government (and in a backwater with no real resources at stake).

State should have sold the top of Mauna Kea. It would be interesting to see the protectors argue against the kind of legal team a Corporation can afford.
Mauna Kea vs Lost in Space

Last week as you may recall, the space based Japanese X-Ray eobservatory broke into pieces in earth orbit. This week, another space based observatory, Kepler, has gone into Emergency Mode:

Emergency Mode is the state in which the spacecraft is in it’s “lowest operational mode”, but which is also “fuel intensive.” How this will impact the telescope’s ongoing mission is unclear. This isn’t the first or even second time the spacecraft has suffered a serious setback.
http://gizmodo.com/the-kepler-space-tele...1770040633

Let's compare what it would take to repair a telescope on Mauna Kea, versus their space based counterparts:

Parts for repair
Mauna Kea: Can be flown into either Hilo or Kona airport
Space Based: ?

Labor

Mauna Kea: A two hour drive
Kepler: At 75 million miles from earth, it's not possible at this time. 75 million miles is 300 times greater than the 240,000 miles humans have ever ventured from our planet.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Too bad " emergency mode" isn't "beat cheeks" back towards home, or a given reference point if a space station is ever possible for that purpose. Ahh well....
Edit for grammar
Community begins with Aloha
HOTPE,

I don't know the final cost of the last Hubble repair mission, but back in 2005 it was estimated to be between $1 billion to $2 billion. This is for the only space-based observatory designed to be serviced or repaired. No others can be repaired in space and the same will apply to the JWST.

I think our own last critical repair mission on Mauna Kea cost about $5,000 to $10,000 in total.

As an aside, Kepler has lasted much longer than its originally planned mission of 3.5 years, so it's done pretty well. It has suffered fatal failures of two of its reaction wheels in the past so I'm wondering if this is another failure (the wheels are used to orientate the telescope). Unfortunately, if it is, it's likely the end of the mission as it'll only have one left which means it'll only be able to move in one axis. Hoping for better news shortly though.