Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Court remands TMT sublease
"Would the TMT project or decades of its operation help fight against our states growing homeless crises, how?

Or Would a billion dollar plus project like the TMT's further promote or increase this type of homeless lifestyle for our future local generations to come, why?
"

What next? Will the TMT affect the coral reefs? How about the increase in shark attacks on Maui, what are their plans for that? Do they have a plan to improve the Pahoa roundabout or will they make it worse? How are they going to design and build an alternative route into Puna? What plans do they have to deal with the ohia die-off?
Plenty of pictures here of vehicles owned by TMT protesters, most much more expensive than mine. Plus a drone. I'm not sure many homeless own a drone.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/wp-con...og2015.pdf

I remember driving up to Hale Pohaku during the protests and wondering how on earth the protesters could afford those trucks. Many were $30,000-$40,000 models. I feel the same way driving to the office in Hilo. A few days every week the students park their cars on A'ohoku Place (just above 'Imiloa) and nearly every car is a new model worth tens of thousands dollars more than my car. And I'm well paid.
wondering how on earth the protesters could afford those trucks

If anything, this illustrates the "I already have mine" attitude that seems so prevalent here.

The answer, in both cases, is most likely that they can't afford those trucks. Easy credit.
most likely that they can't afford those trucks. Easy credit.

Most likely we can't afford all these new parks, either.
This certainly changes the game:

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...ested-case

Warfield and Kahawaiolaa are no strangers to the scene. Neither is Lau. These names are tied directly in to some heavy action -- Keaukaha, Panaewa, UHH, Labor unions, Daniel Inouye, Imiloa. Most important, this is a heavy HILO connection. Keep in mind that many of the leaders of the protector/protestor groups do not come from Hilo. Trask might be the only one. All others come from outside of the Hilo sphere of influence. Many, are off island...mainly Oahu, UH Hawaiian Studies, influenced folks. With very little daily presence in Hilo. This PUEO groups is very much Hilo. Game changer.

good though. Checks and balances. We'll see where it goes from here.
quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

What is all this fuss about? The TMT, as well as any mirrored telescope, is an obsolete technology.

Oh, do tell.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Also here:

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...est-island

"The whole island is sacred and Mauna Kea is part of it," Warfield said. "All land is sacred in Hawaii. It’s not just one particular spot."

I was wondering when someone would point this out...

It may be sacred, but this doesn't preclude ecological devastation, bulldozers, etc. Most of the native habitat in Hawaii is long gone. It's hard not to see that Mauna Kea is a special place, and the whole Earth being sacred doesn't diminish the unique character of Mauna Kea. And Mauna Loa is part of a national park - why not Mauna Kea? Mauna Kea contains a wealth of cultural sites, and its unique geology even contains features from glaciation. A strong argument could be made that Mauna Kea should be a national park.
"Oh, do tell."

Kukiniloa - not really worth asking, you aren't likely to get a sensible response from that source.
Maybe If our Blnr or Dlnr divisions were freed up from this TMT project they could spend time and resources protecting our Ohia or ocean reefs again? A decade or two hiatus from further development atop maunakea may allow the healing to begin for the mountain, the people who care for it, our aquifers and reefs. The millions of extra visitors to our island are causing huge environmental changes and changing the way we will live,jmo. What is being done by the blnr and the dlnr to help protect our reefs and keiki?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spea...-wildlife/

Puako beach drive use to have several great places to fish because the reef was alive and thriving. Today most of the reef fish are gone as are the hermit crabs and snails many of them fed on. Many of The sea cucumbers or sea urchin's that use to keep the reef clean are also now missing from the reefs, like they have been caught and sold. The good news is that the many resorts just down the coast from puako beach drive look to be much bigger, and greener than I ever remember them being in the 70's and 80's.