Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Court remands TMT sublease
Maybe If our Blnr or Dlnr divisions were freed up from this TMT project

gypsy -
I too am concerned about the resources of the DLNR getting stretched thin and preventing them from focusing on the core of their mission, environmental protection.

For instance, what would you think if a large, unauthorized group of people suddenly set up an illegal encampment of tents, tarps, and other non-biodegradable substances in an environmentally fragile area, requiring the DNLR bring in people, officers and equipment from all around the island to monitor and contain the intruders? Wouldn't the trespassers be, in your own words, "causing huge environmental changes and changing the way we will live?" And not for the better, as you point out in your previous comment that when too many people visit an environmentally sensitive area such as reefs, or mountains for instance, and in the process of swimming, walking or moving about they inadvertently or purposely move rocks that may be home to hermit crabs, snails or in the case of a mountain, small insects? And what about large numbers of people snorkeling in a reef wearing sunscreen toxic to sea creatures and who rather than interrupt their enjoyment of viewing the colorful fish relieve themselves in the water, which also occurs when visitors to a mountainside are miles away from a single rest room facility?

Oscar Wilde's Last Words: "Either this wallpaper goes, or I do."
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Maybe If our Blnr or Dlnr divisions were freed up from this TMT project

gypsy -
I too am concerned about the resources of the DLNR getting stretched thin and preventing them from focusing on the core of their mission, environmental protection.

For instance, what would you think if a large, unauthorized group of people suddenly set up an illegal encampment of tents, tarps, and other non-biodegradable substances in an environmentally fragile area, requiring the DNLR bring in people, officers and equipment from all around the island to monitor and contain the intruders? Wouldn't the trespassers be, in your own words, "causing huge environmental changes and changing the way we will live?" And not for the better, as you point out in your previous comment that when too many people visit an environmentally sensitive area such as reefs, or mountains for instance, and in the process of swimming, walking or moving about they inadvertently or purposely move rocks that may be home to hermit crabs, snails or in the case of a mountain, small insects? And what about large numbers of people snorkeling in a reef wearing sunscreen toxic to sea creatures and who rather than interrupt their enjoyment of viewing the colorful fish relieve themselves in the water, which also occurs when visitors to a mountainside are miles away from a single rest room facility?

I've always wondered what is so damaging about human waste when, in the ultimate analysis, the whole world pees in the ocean. Mammals and fish, invertebrates and reptiles, but people only find human waste to be a problem. How can that be.

The great plains are strewn with the unmarked graves of fallen pilgrims, yet nobody says that land is too "sacred" to be used - farmed etc.

If there are actual gravesites in the area of construction, move them out of harms way, and lets get back to moving forward (or at least as most people see it).
It may be sacred, but this doesn't preclude ecological devastation, bulldozers, etc. Most of the native habitat in Hawaii is long gone.

Ultimately all this destruction is caused by people.

The solution is obvious: nobody should be allowed to live on these islands, so that they can be fully restored to their naturally sacred state.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

It may be sacred, but this doesn't preclude ecological devastation, bulldozers, etc. Most of the native habitat in Hawaii is long gone.

Ultimately all this destruction is caused by people.

The solution is obvious: nobody should be allowed to live on these islands, so that they can be fully restored to their naturally sacred state.

To whom?
nobody should be allowed to live on these islands

Yes, instead of parsing and fighting over blood quantum percentages, let's keep it simple and just count chromosomes. 23 pairs and you're out.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Great question hotpe.

I certainly noticed that large gathering of protectors in that fragile environment. Thought it was Really a shame that it had to come to that standoff to get the states or worlds attention. Just maybe, If the TmT process or project was not rubber stamped or illegally being done on limbo land, then the standoff may have been avoided,jmo. I can only hope The rise of the good protectors has made many others aware of the environmental, system corruption, and cultural issues here in Hawaii.
What's interesting to me about this TMT project, is the major priority and even bigger community distraction it has become over the past 8 years. Taking valuable time and resources away from Some of our best and brightest people in charge of our environmental protection agencies, like Dlnr's Miss Suzanne case, blnr's Mr. Stanley Roanic, and mayor Billy Kenoi. During the same period of time (8-10 years) the dlnr and blnr has also watched puna be invaded by the fire ants, dengue virus, geothermal friendly frogs, and an Ebola type of tree fungus,jmo.
To whom?

The "protectors" decry all development as desecration, especially where technology is concerned (TMT, PGV).

Ironically, this "desecration" only seems to apply to well-funded projects ... but the message is clear: no development, no technology.

I would like to see these "protectors" lead by example: no benefit checks, no Chinese imported poly tarps, no plastic porta-potties, no gasoline-powered lifted trucks.

To do otherwise is hypocrisy, but I've gotten used to that part of the Hawaiian Lifestyle.
If the TmT process or project was not rubber stamped or illegally being done on limbo land
Wasn't it a 7 year approval process? Pretty slow rubber stamp.

During the same period of time (8-10 years) the dlnr and blnr has also watched puna be invaded by the:

fire ants
They've been here at least 15 years if not more

dengue virus
a quick search show a book titled "Epidemic of Dengue in the Territory of Hawaii during 1903" but the first case could be earlier

geothermal friendly frogs

Coqui arrived in a shipment of tropical plants from Puerto Rico around 1994

an Ebola type of tree fungus,jmo.
Don't forget the roundabout

We should keep a list of all the things Gypsy blames the telescope for, it's amazing. What next, Asian bird flu?
keep a list of all the things Gypsy blames the telescope for

I thought PGV was the Cause Of All Problems?

Oh, right: PGV invented TMT to distract us from the nighttime drilling.