Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lava viewing in Kalapana?
There have not been NP rangers from the park at the CoC boundary of the County viewing route (east end of the NP) the times we have gone through. On that side you are more likely to see county personnel, inc CD, police, security & traffic div. personnel, as the county is still bound by the federal monies used for the CoC emergency route to maintain the emergency route....

There are park personnel during daylight hours at the HVNP side of the end of CoC (West side of CoC emergency route). Most like if there are "ranger" that might indicate a rescue, which they have had during this flow, or it oould be park personnel that routinely monitor the park property - some of whom have trek the pali & coastal flats very routinely to note changes in park conditions (inc. vegetation & animal surveys in the park )

ADD: many people seem unaware that there are many entrances to the HVNP where there is no "gate keeper" & there are no fees to enter.... Too bad these folks have never ventured more that the main entrance to view some of the incredible offerings HVNP has!
Oh, there are rangers at the gate on CoC? Are they taking money? If not, why not? I certainly wouldn't mind it being free, but shouldn't the National Park get its fee?
-----

I would hope that most locals simply buy the annual pass? I do. Its worth it.
Some of us locals are old enough to have a permanent pass [Smile]

And you can enter through the park entrance all night for free
Linchpin,

You must allow people their beliefs, whether you agree or not.
quote:
Originally posted by Justin

Oh, there are rangers at the gate on CoC? Are they taking money? If not, why not? I certainly wouldn't mind it being free, but shouldn't the National Park get its fee?

There were 2 people from USGS doing some photos/video and GPS mapping and they had a park guy with them on the road.

Most people (99.9%) don't go all the way to the park section on the road though, but that's how we went and we had our park pass with us too. They didn't seem concerned about that though.

For the rest of the road it's mostly county people and probably volunteers helping out. We didn't really look that closely or ask.
My wife and I hiked all the way up to see the lava Sunday night, quite a beautiful sight with the stars and the moon. I made a 4-1/2 minute video clip with my iPhone and my cousin's music here:

https://youtu.be/1acS20epvPo

It's a long hike all the way to the lava, my wife's Fitbit says we hiked a total of 10.22 miles round trip including hiking around a little bit once we reached the flow. Basically 5 miles to reach the flow.

If you're not up for that long of a hike I'd suggest waiting for the lava to reach Chain of Craters road and then rent bikes at the parking lot to just ride right up to it.
They rent bikes at the parking lot? Do you know how much they're chàrging?
I wanted to ask them about bike rental pricing when we returned but we got back to the parking lot after 10 pm so they were closed already.
Not sure who a group used, but 2 weeks ago, there was a father fuming over some of the family walking out to the lava from the east NP border of CoC...
Seems they rented 6 bikes for $90/hr (which would equal $15/hr each) and 4 of the group had not returned & they were 4 hours late already & he was sure it would be $600 or more for the bikes

We did help get the family back together & rolling back down CoC... all I was thinking was for $600, they coulda gotten some cheapo bikes & beaten the S*** out of them on the road & been ahead.... we only go out there with transfer station specials...as you will be leaving the bikes locked & vulnerable if you walk out to the flow...
"Basically 5 miles to reach the flow."
But most of that is on a road, correct?