Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keaau Village Market moving
good old boys in charge long ago decided that we need to keep going to Hilo ad infinitum

Again:

If everything "must" be in Hilo, widen the highway and/or add PMAR (for both values of M).

If we "can't" add more lanes to Hilo, allow development in Puna.

Bottom line: County has no incentive to reduce the distance driven; they don't have to pay for gas, just collect the FTR. More miles = more FTR, and more opportinity for tickets from HPD, and plenty justification for a subsidized bus system.

It's also clear that "the process" has failed us; we have all these lovely Community Development Plans calling for "neighborhood commercial" and "village centers" that continue not to be built.

The Internet is resilient because protocols have evolved to route around damaged parts of the network. Perhaps the people of Puna could learn from this example and develop a distributed form of commerce that works around the damage that is County...
I visited today. The same four or five produce vendors but in a new gravel area. No bathroom like before. Good ol' port-a-potties. I visited today and bought papayas, and I'm sure I'll be back but I'll watch my timing. I think it may be a parking-lot nightmare when the McDonalds opens back up for inside dining and at certain hours like when school gets out. Sometimes cannot even make a left turn into the lot because of the McD's drive-through patrons sitting and waiting in their vehicles.
I was hoping along with the building remodel, that there was going to be some sort of drive thru line remodel as well.
Apparently the drive thru remodel incorporates shifting some of the McDonald's traffic to the new Pahoa location at Puna Kai.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

Apparently the drive thru remodel incorporates shifting some of the McDonald's traffic to the new Pahoa location at Puna Kai.

Um, Yay, I guess.[xx(]
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...age-market

Market buildings gone, construction fence mostly up, but the property tax database still shows 4 adjacent parcels... I guess that's just a technicality when a major corporation pulls permits for a $4M building...
What happened to the Sakado statue?
Still there
The statue appears to be gone from what I could see through the holes in the black fabric wall. I recall it was erected with some fanfare just a few years ago which implied some permanence to farmer's market.
I bet the new Long's is open before Petco/TJ Maxx.