Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School immunizations
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

For what it's worth, Jews, Muslims, and others who don't eat pork can still play football and get vaccines (unless they eat the footballs or drink the vaccines)

It really depends on the person's interpretation or denomination. Some believe they can't even touch a living pig even though the scriptures say not to touch the pig carcass(which a football could be considered).
Glinda:

"Chas.. keep in mind he does it willy nilly to all those he decided is inferior to his vaulted position amongst the stars. Maybe one can take a lesson from the drama playing out on the national stage. Narcissism is a tricky condition whereby those so afflicted do not know themselves to be. As is obviously the case with our wannabe.."

I felt it would be a good idea to highlight what you think is the argument against someone asking questions, and this is it. I will repeat it:

he does it willy nilly to all those he decided is inferior to his vaulted position amongst the stars.

Not only have you misunderstood why I ask questions, you've also demonstrated the reason why those that cannot answer those questions rely on personal insults and build a straw man argument instead.

I ask questions so I can understand the other person's position. It's not willy-nilly and certainly has nothing to do with a vaulted position or something to do with a position amongst the stars. That's just nonsense and hope most here realize that. "Glinda"'s ad hominem is simply that: an attack on the person rather than the argument.
jahson777 wrote:

"So will gelatin free flushots get made by monks in a monastery, Or by scientist working r&d for a pharmaceutical company looking to serve other markets? It would seem there is a place for science to create medicine in respect for the religious market."

Flu shots work. They may not be able to prevent you getting the 'flu for reasons that have already been discussed in this thread. If you choose not to have the shot then your chances of suffering from the 'flu increases and as do the chances of those around you also coming down with the 'flu.

If you choose to avoid the shot because of religious beliefs, then fine, that's your choice, but please don't complain to everyone else that you are sick with the 'flu or that you've passed it on to others. You made your selfish choice. Perhaps you want to consult with your god about a better way of avoiding the virus and let everyone else know what that is. Or how we now can fight the illness?

Bloody hell, if the argument against 'flu shots comes down to having monks develop vaccines I feel we're just going back to the middle ages.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Not only have you misunderstood why I ask questions, you've also demonstrated the reason why those that cannot answer those questions rely on personal insults...

I ask questions so I can understand the other person's position. It's not willy-nilly and certainly has nothing to do with a vaulted position or something to do with a position amongst the stars. That's just nonsense and hope most here realize that.

Tom, I’m also trying to understand your position, so I ask my original question again:

I’ve seen some of your responses start with “So and so scribbled...”.

You think that’s not insulting?
I've used other verbs as well: whined, moaned or perhaps scribbled as well. That shows my opinion of what was written because it wasn't intelligent or the author posted something that was obviously contradictory to what they posted. I use it rarely but when I do it's to make a point: the author of the post has either not thought out their position and contradicted themselves, or they have posted complete nonsense. They invariably do that because they have said something insulting or stupid; I never see you complain about those posts. I also suggest you look up something called "usenet" where it was common to quote anyone you responded to with "so and so scribbled" or "you screamed/shouted/babbled etc" and no one took it as offensive.

Now I've explained myself. How about you join in the conversation and post something about the subject? Vaccines - should teachers in Hawaii be vaccinated or not? What's your opinion? So far, you've posted nothing in this thread that discusses the subject, you've just made it personal.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

jahson777 wrote:

"So will gelatin free flushots get made by monks in a monastery, Or by scientist working r&d for a pharmaceutical company looking to serve other markets? It would seem there is a place for science to create medicine in respect for the religious market."

Flu shots work. They may not be able to prevent you getting the 'flu for reasons that have already been discussed in this thread. If you choose not to have the shot then your chances of suffering from the 'flu increases and as do the chances of those around you also coming down with the 'flu.

If you choose to avoid the shot because of religious beliefs, then fine, that's your choice, but please don't complain to everyone else that you are sick with the 'flu or that you've passed it on to others. You made your selfish choice. Perhaps you want to consult with your god about a better way of avoiding the virus and let everyone else know what that is. Or how we now can fight the illness?

Bloody hell, if the argument against 'flu shots comes down to having monks develop vaccines I feel we're just going back to the middle ages.

. I was trying to make a point that science and religion can have some connections, there are scientist of many religions and there are atheist scientist who research stuff for religious markets.
There are scientist who study different religious text as well. The monk statement wasn't "bloody" serious it was meant to be funny and part of my point of where science belongs;-) BTW why do you see someone as selfish for suffering/taking more risk for whatever God they may believe in? I would consider anyone who goes out in public sick being more worthy of the selfish definition. Here in Hawaii we have many cultures and people of many faiths. Just because some of them have different religious views does not give us the right to put them down. Here in Hawaii we embrace the multicultural aspect of hawaii rather than shun it. Until other vaccines are made that are acceptable to those with objections i would expect they will refuse. Maybe an alternative in the meantime will be issuing n95 masks during flu seasons and educating people how to properly wash hands and self quarantine when sick.
I am considered by some to be in a high risk group for the flu due to being a cancer survivor. Currently at the ripe old age of 55, I have never had a flu shot. I did need to fly when I was undergoing chemo, and made sure that I flew when my immune system was at its strongest, wore a mask, and stayed away from anyone visibly sick, coughing, or sneezing.

As a child, I had all of the required immunizations. I am not anti-science or anti-vaccine. I think getting the flu shot is a personal choice, and not getting one is not a selfish or uninformed decision. During the height of flu season I work 12 hour shifts 6 and 7 nights a week for weeks at a time.

There have been a number of asinine statements posted on this thread aimed to be demeaning. I don't want to see Punaweb become a site where posters routinely belittle others for having a different opinion or outlook.

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
As I said.. Tom is narcissistic. He can not help himself anymore than Trump can. Birds of a feather sort of thing. Go back over he's posts. Every single time he does not agree with someone he has, I say HAS TO, be mean and say disparaging things about them. He has ran folks out of here in droves. Ask gypsy69...

Wow, i wouldnt go that far. A narcissist cannot love and i am sure you do not know him well enough to make that judgement.
Is there a vaccine for TDS?