Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russian Hypersonic Target In Hawaii
RWR is correct. This is all such old news. Yes of course we can all blow each other up and this has been possible for decades. So what is the purpose of this discussion? Or to quote RWR, "and den?"

You want to watch a movie that relates? I have an old one for you: How about Red Dawn or War Games? (shows just how old this news is) A better and more entertaining one, maybe The Book of Eli.
Speaking of old ones; Dr Strangelove an epitome of gallows humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuP6KbIsNK4
TomK, My comment was not directed at you. Just don’t want to see another senseless arms race.
This is all such old news.

EW -
Did you read the OP & story link? This is not "oh, we could always blow stuff up, and now we can still blow stuff up." This is a recent TV broadcast, and recent satellite test. Brand new, hot off the griddle.

TomK - Can satellites (and their potential debris) travel at different speeds in the same orbit? That is, is the orbital speed of an object in a 150 mile high orbit different from another object in a 300 mile high orbit? Elliptical orbits would cross paths with circular orbits so I can see how their debris would be a wild card in LEO.

From what you noted, the Kessler syndrome would render small replacement satellites potentially launched from Keaau useless, as well as navigation satellites from China and Russia. Seems like whoever creates space debris is shooting themselves in the foot, unless they have an extremely effective Plan B.

My personal plan A is still - lava tube. Once the 2018 East Rift Zone cools down enough, we'll see whether there is an extensive system of large empty tubes down there, enough for all the residents of Puna to live in and survive for an extended period of time, potentially sheltering the last of civilization - - if we don't hold any meetings. We all know how Puna meetings turn out.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
large empty tubes down there, enough for all the residents of Puna to live in and survive

Great idea ... but you're going to need some permits ...
To bring this thread back to the group's standards; Russia could in no way make the suggested changes to Hawaii without the required Environmental impact studies and zoning changes.
you're going to need some permits ...

If it ever happens, the shoe will be on the other foot. The office dwellers of Hilo will beg the subterranean mole people of Puna to let them in. Maybe we can ask them to fill out an application, and come back in a few weeks.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
fill out an application, and come back

...to revise the application, because it was incomplete (and we have additional questions).
These world leaders like to compare their missile sizes and which one is going to be the quickest to deliver their load (really Putin?) but at the end of the day if your exposure to this information is from the media and not bona fide journalism then don't let it keep you up at night.
And what are the residents of Puna going to eat while we're living in the lava tubes?
Certainty will be the death of us.