Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID-19 confirmed in Hawaii: 607+ cases 16 deaths
Count is now 10. I've removed the total from the post title as the numbers are going to speed up now. The cases are many - act like it for everyone's sake!

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/03/16/10-c...in-hawaii/

"Hawai‘i County is the only county in the state that has not yet been affected by COVID-19.

As Monday afternoon, there were a total of 10 confirmed or presumptive positive cases for the virus — six on O‘ahu, two on Maui and two on Kaua‘i.

Three new positive results were announced today for two O‘ahu residents, and one visitor on Maui. The Department of Health is monitoring all of these individuals and supervising their isolation as well as the self-quarantine of their family members.

During a press conference this afternoon, Gov. David Ige said there will be a disruption of everyday life as more cases are confirmed globally and in the islands."
Gov. David Ige said there will be a disruption of everyday life

But not by the Hawaii court system. Trials continue with jurors sitting arm to arm, not 6 feet apart as we’ve been told to do. Jury selections have not been canceled, in which you & 75 other potential jurors, attorneys, clerks, judge, etc - - so 90-100 people are packed into a courtroom, based on what? A doctors recommendation? Or a state administrator’s decision?

Guess who’s been called for jury duty in the time of COVID-19?

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The new case on Maui arrived on March 7th, became symptomatic on March 9th, went to Urgent Care on the 11th, and continued sightseeing until the positive test came back on the 15th. Brilliant!
"But not by the Hawaii court system. Trials continue with jurors sitting arm to arm, not 6 feet apart as we’ve been told to do. Jury selections have not been canceled, in which you & 75 other potential jurors, attorneys, clerks, judge, etc - - so 90-100 people are packed into a courtroom, based on what? A doctors recommendation? Or a state administrator’s decision?"

Don't worry, the Hawaii courts are taking steps:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/03/16...-outbreak/

How they enforce these measures is another question.
A primer on how to get out of jury duty.

Cough !
What if the defendant starts coughing?
Thanks TomK,
I just saw in today’s Trib-Herald they’re allowing exceptions for people with health conditions, over age 60 etc. so I should be age exempted. I’ll call them tomorrow.

There was another article worried about criminals not provided with a COVID-19 safe environment, from arrest to interrogation to prison. Perhaps the ACLU can take up juror protections after they create a safe and healthy environment for the alleged law breakers - - you know, the people who are placing jurors into a less than ideal situation.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...us-threat/
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I take a blood pressure medication that causes coughing so I get a pass.

Might need to shut the court's down except for video proceedings.

Wait, do we have that ?
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/03/17...t-economy/

"HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - The state is reporting the first confirmed case of coronavirus on the Big Island.

The new case and three others bring the statewide total to 14.

Here’s the breakdown by island:

Oahu: 8
Maui: 3
Kauai: 2
Hawaii Island: 1
The state Health Department said three of the new cases are travel-related. Authorities are still investigating the fourth, which was reported on Maui."
That will change things and what is happening here with the official count now starting.