Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID-19 confirmed in Hawaii: 607+ cases 16 deaths
So where do those workers, that cute chic that served you... where is she going to work?
If we focus on farming, immediately... Man we are sitting so pretty,

Your suggestion is that attractive waitresses, accustomed to good tips from their jobs on Alii Drive will become farm laborers, for minimum(ish) wage? Working in the hot sun, high humidity, often in the pouring Puna rain?

I ran a farm for 6 years and I hired a pretty good number of workers. In my experience, your suggestion is extremely unrealistic. Except perhaps as a Hallmark Movie Channel made-for-tv movie. Half of the film would no doubt involve the newly hired farm girl’s eyes gazing upward, longingly, dreaming of the past or future, with a well placed bead of “sweat” wiped from her brow. By the handsome hunky coworker who then leads her over to his favorite tree stump in the shade, where as you said, man, we are sitting so pretty.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/04/hawaii...s-near-400

"On Monday, 16 new COVID-19 cases and another death were confirmed in Hawaii.

The total number of infections statewide has reached 387, most of which are on Oahu.

Honolulu County has documented 292 infections to date, up from 281 on Sunday. All other counties reported one new case since Sunday. Maui County has reported 44 total new COVID-19 cases, Hawaii County reported 23, and Kauai County reported 17.

A fifth person to die due to coronavirus complications was also reported Monday by Department of Health officials online.

The number of people requiring hospitalization has reached 26, up from 21 reported on Sunday.

Nearly 90 people have been determined well enough by DOH to be released from isolation."

more at link

Oahu showed exponential growth of cases for a few days, now it doesn't look that way.
All other islands have yet to see anything close to exponential growth and hopefully never will.
If we can get out of this with zero deaths on the BI, that would be amazing.

I don't know how long it will take, but soon enough everything here will be pretty much as it was before. Although hopefully some misguided people will realize that we do indeed need to diversify our economy if we don't want to get smacked in the face every so often. We can't compete in ag but we sure can compete in other fields. More solar, more science, more geothermal and maybe more retirement villages, that's an idea that has potential.
need to diversify our economy

Migration, Remittances, Aid, Benefits. What more could anyone want?
we sure can compete in other fields.

Businesses have now learned that many jobs can be performed from home, over Zoom if it’s necessary for a group to meet virtually. If stay-at-home continues for a long enough period of time, the home office in Scranton might realize the best applicant for their job opening lives in Pahoa. And if hired they can stay in Pahoa.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Yes, and mainlanders who’d rather see sun than snow can work from Hawaii - and bring their jobs with them.
For those suggesting a soon to be return to what was before I would suggest a few minutes reflection on how this crisis is changing human behavior.

Considering that our, Hawaii's, normal was seeped in activities that don't lend themselves well to a social distancing modality I suspect our new normal will look nothing like the old, for as long as it takes for science to develop a vaccine. And when, after that, our economy does return to tourism it will have to be rebuilt piecemeal. I suspect the tourist industry is going to be a lot smaller when we start loosening our social restrictions. People and businesses will simply not be able to wait that long to get started again. In other words the money behind the industry will move elsewhere.

Consider this video

https://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watc...1719365650

Where Dr. Emanuel explains when he believes we will get back to normal, why we must be honest and realistic about the timeline, and what we must do in the meantime. It really is a sobering assessment of the situation. One that, when applied to our local economic prospects, is very sobering.
hokuili - Ah, so indefinitely doesn't have to be that long! Cool. Now if we could just get started.

Nothing can go on indefinitely, which is part of why the models are extremely limited - they don't take into account future actions such as loosening of restrictions, or wide-spread testing, or a vaccine, or the virus mutating for better or worse.

As in 1918 Gunnison CO, as cases in the state waned, they ultimately lifted restrictions after about 4 months and got hit with a subsequent wave with 100 people falling ill, although the cases were mild and all survived.

The real kicker with the 1918 Spanish Flu is that it just disappeared in 1920 - no one knows why and so for all the measures taken and attempts made to minimize the impact, the world was spared many more deaths just by chance.

For anyone interested, I highly recommend "The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History" which documents the people and institutions that dealt with 1918 the Spanish Flu pandemic. Includes some fascinating history about what it took to rapidly modernize the American hospital system in the late 1800s (led by the founding of John Hopkins - the same group that maintains the world's most used map for tracking this pandemic) as well as the bios and personalities of the historic men and women who were on the front lines. The audiobook version makes for good listening while doing other things!
Conditions for the so called re opening of individual states.

1. Hospitals must be able to treat all patients who need care, without resorting to crisis expedients.

This is the most immediate test. It’s not clear yet that any U.S. state has passed the point of peak demand for hospital care.

2. The state must be able to promptly test everyone who has symptoms, at a minimum.

That would mean performing about 750,000 tests a week across the country — and that’s once the situation has calmed considerably.

3. The state must be able to monitor all its confirmed cases and contacts.

Public health workers need to be able to trace the recent close contacts of everyone who tests positive and have them go into isolation or quarantine until it’s determined they’re not infected.

4. The number of new cases in the state must drop steadily for at least 14 days.

Such a trend would suggest that the state has achieved suppression — meaning that, on average, each patient is passing the virus along to fewer than one other person. When that’s true, the state’s case count will begin dropping exponentially, just as it rose.
About the vaccine if they ever create one, there's lots of people who would refuse it. They think this whole thing is a conspiracy to force vaccinations on people. Some even think it's caused by 5G wireless.